German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
the curl at the end is indeed a fault , The fact that it does not curl over the back is huge, a gsd's tail is supposed to be like a sword. My new show bitch has a slight curl at the end , she carries her tail low and has a good croup so her overall picture is nice. your little one is sure cute.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the curl at the end is indeed a fault , The fact that it does not curl over the back is huge, a gsd's tail is supposed to be like a sword. My new show bitch has a slight curl at the end , she carries her tail low and has a good croup so her overall picture is nice. your little one is sure cute.
One of the key factors in picking my girl was her tail, it's perfect to standard and at 7 months old it's still perfect.
Tails bothers me if they are not correct, I have no idea why, just a little OCD I guess lol.
I hate seeing huskys with a curled tail because they are not suppose to but so many do.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Onyx and Kacie both have a curl at the end of their tails,though they can hold them straight too.
They are both purebred but now well bred...both have long tails. Now and then Onyx will carry her tail high over her back, but it isn't husky like.
This is Onyx and her brother both have a curl at the end:

Onyx holding it straight:

Kacie's curly tail:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree it is so distracting , my male has a perfect sword tail , my little bitch's tail is not really a curl it just tips to the side at the end sometimes. I think the length has something to do with it ??? heads and tails are my OCD , I cannot stand a bitchy male head. I show american bred dogs and see way too many feminineness in the males. oh and light eyes bug me big time too -- :)

oops in reply to "KLCecil"

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I think it is normal. A kink is one thing, a questionmark curl is another, a gay tail is normal, and a over the back curl is just plain odd for a purebred GSD. Like horsegirl posted, the length probably causes dogs to curl them, so they don't touch the ground.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I agree it is so distracting , my male has a perfect sword tail , my little bitch's tail is not really a curl it just tips to the side at the end sometimes. I think the length has something to do with it ??? heads and tails are my OCD , I cannot stand a bitchy male head. I show american bred dogs and see way too many feminineness in the males. oh and light eyes bug me big time too -- :)

oops in reply to "KLCecil"
LOL! Heads here, too. I can't deal with the extremley short almost sleek coat either. Ok sorry- way off topic! Just had to laugh at that!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Molly's tail does go straight from time to time.

Well is like bent.

Her tail basically curls or bends from the middle of her tail to the end tip. She is just a poorly bred GSD, if she were a well bred one I think her tail would be normal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
her tail does not seem abnormal , most GSD (that I have had experience with) do tend to lift thier tail when excited , hers is not an actual curl , her tail looks good :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The more research I do, the more common it sounds. Deuce's tail curls at the end...he curls it because his tail is so long. LOL.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That is interesting to know. There is a gsd at the dog park that has a tail that curls over her back. I could've sworn she was mixed despite the parents saying she was pure bred. Guess that shows me. I had know idea it was a fault. The dog is cute,just kinda odd looking.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Here's an updated pictures of my boy, Deuce.... he curls his tail like I stated above because it's longer than normal. I still love him :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a GSD puppy from a breeder and I've noticed the tip of her tail curls over and for as long as I've had her its never been straight. Im just wondering if she will grow out of it or not? She's about 5 months old.
Our baby Daisy has a beautiful curly tail. She was one of 14 fur babies full blooded Ukrainian German Shepherd fur babies. She is unique. Beautiful an sweet. Baby Dasiey is 2 an her tail is what makes her different. She stands so proud of her curly tail

21 - 39 of 39 Posts