German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So some have you might have seen my posts about getting my GSD puppy this Saturday and I'm very excited... but I have a problem / question.

We have two other male dogs, an older, neutered, rottie mix and an intact male 8 month old silky terrier.

The silky terrier goes CRAZY around the dottie and won't leave him alone! He keeps humping the big dog. Luckily, the big dog doesn't mind but the little terrier won't stop trying to hump him or get to him.

Will this be an even bigger problem when my male, intact 8 week old GSD comes home? How can we prevent this? Is the only option to neuter the silky?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess no one knows :,)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
seems the problem is with is with your silky....

and, yes, as long as your silky terrier acts out, will probably act out with your GSD.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My guess would be the Shepherd pup will be more energy then the silky will know what to do with or can handle. I would say 2 weeks tops and that silky becomes a favorite chew/chase/bat toy. Why are you letting him harass the older dog?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't 'let' him. If we have the two dogs in the house and my sister drops the silky's leash for even a second, the silky is going at the big dog, trying to hump him. We don't really know how to teach him to 'stop' humping other than putting him in his crate but I've been told not to use the gate for punishment.

Regardless, my dog most likely won't be around the silky a lot so I guess he will be fine. I just don't want my dog to be damaged or get anxiety from this dominant behavior.

My guess would be the Shepherd pup will be more energy then the silky will know what to do with or can handle. I would say 2 weeks tops and that silky becomes a favorite chew/chase/bat toy. Why are you letting him harass the older dog?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Older dogs will usually give a puppy a pass for awhile. Puppies especially shepherd pups play rough. I have 2 older (8 years old) fixed Shipperkes they weight about 15 lbs my shepherd pup was as big as them by 10 weeks. They were not allowed to harass him when he was little but were allowed to correct him when he got to be to much for them. The Yorkie pup needs to be trained in the same way as you would a bigger dog does he know sit, down, leave it, place? When my three get to playing grab tail they are told to leave it and place. The one who is the instigator and wants to keep things going gets put on a leash and stays in a down right next to me.

·
Registered
32,134 Posts
The fact that the eight week old pup will be intact will not make a difference at all. Puppies play. And yes, they play rough. But the intact impact will not come into effect until the youngster becomes sexually mature. Could be a problem, could not be a problem. Might the silky try to hump the puppy? Yes, it might. I think you might have your work cut out for you protecting your puppy from a rather dominant terrier.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The silky knows sit and will only stay for food but when the rottie is around, he has no concerns for food or anything.

Older dogs will usually give a puppy a pass for awhile. Puppies especially shepherd pups play rough. I have 2 older (8 years old) fixed Shipperkes they weight about 15 lbs my shepherd pup was as big as them by 10 weeks. They were not allowed to harass him when he was little but were allowed to correct him when he got to be to much for them. The Yorkie pup needs to be trained in the same way as you would a bigger dog does he know sit, down, leave it, place? When my three get to playing grab tail they are told to leave it and place. The one who is the instigator and wants to keep things going gets put on a leash and stays in a down right next to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I should keep the terrier off my puppy? I don't want to create a bad association.

The fact that the eight week old pup will be intact will not make a difference at all. Puppies play. And yes, they play rough. But the intact impact will not come into effect until the youngster becomes sexually mature. Could be a problem, could not be a problem. Might the silky try to hump the puppy? Yes, it might. I think you might have your work cut out for you protecting your puppy from a rather dominant terrier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts