German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hes a Male and he was measured at 28" which I know is over sized. When we got him in August he weighed 52 lbs :cry: and is now up to 65 as of last week. I think 80 would be good on him but I would like other opinions.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My GSD Sinister is 28' at the shoulder and he weighs 80 pounds

He is lean, you can feel every rib but you cannot see them, he has medium drive energy

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
28 at the withers? Big dog. Weight is highly variable depending on build and amount of exercise. Especially build. Big boned? Long and lanky? Broad chested? etc
If you think 80 is good you probably know best. Ask a vet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is tall and If I hear one more person say he looks like a wolf ill scream. He is long and lanky right now, poor guy. When I got him you could see every single rib and his hip bones. When I would brush him, the brush would get caught on his ribs... it was horrible. I think Sinister looks great at 80lbs. Ill play it by looks and see how Elvis looks as he gains, but 80 seems like a realistic goal at this time.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
He is tall and If I hear one more person say he looks like a wolf ill scream. He is long and lanky right now, poor guy. When I got him you could see every single rib and his hip bones. When I would brush him, the brush would get caught on his ribs... it was horrible. I think Sinister looks great at 80lbs. Ill play it by looks and see how Elvis looks as he gains, but 80 seems like a realistic goal at this time.
Sinister is REALLY long, it sounds like our boys have the same body type, I think 80 pounds would be a good weight for him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here he is after he was here for about 2 weeks-

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Here he is after he was here for about 2 weeks-

I cant see the picture because of the stupid computer I am on, is there a way you can save it to your profile on here so I can view it?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
In the picture I posted, Sinister looks small next to the yellow dog but the yellow dog is a Great Dane/Lab mix. He is ENORMOUS :eek: he is the size of a Great Dane but he looks just like a Lab. :wild:

·
5,627 Posts
How old is your dog?

It definitely depends on the build. Judging by the picture, which isn't the best (no offense), I would say 5lbs or so, 10lbs at the most. But I can't see or feel the dog.

He should have that tuck and defined waist that you see in your picture and LaRen's of Sin. You should not be able to see hip bones or spine but should be able to easily feel the ribs and maybe even see the last 1 or 2.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
This looks like a relatively young dog to me. Young dogs tend to fill in as they get older, so I would not be too worried about pushing weight gain at the moment. Looking at his waist and ribs, he doesn't actually look too thin to me, especially considering that sables do tend to show contours more (and therefore tend to look more ribby than they actually are) because of their fur color.

What would concern me more than putting weight on the dog would be putting some muscle mass and definition on the dog. He looks like he has very little muscle in his hind end, which may contribute to him looking so "skinny".

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This looks like a relatively young dog to me. Young dogs tend to fill in as they get older, so I would not be too worried about pushing weight gain at the moment. Looking at his waist and ribs, he doesn't actually look too thin to me, especially considering that sables do tend to show contours more (and therefore tend to look more ribby than they actually are) because of their fur color.

What would concern me more than putting weight on the dog would be putting some muscle mass and definition on the dog. He looks like he has very little muscle in his hind end, which may contribute to him looking so "skinny".

Yes, he was so starved that he started to atrophie according to the vet. What would you suggest for adding muscle? He will be one years old the end of this month

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Bison is just over 27 1/2 if I remember correctly and he is 99 lbs. Vet says he is at a good weight now. He has a huge head and is very strong, so I would take that into consideration as well.

Yes, he was so starved that he started to atrophie according to the vet. What would you suggest for adding muscle? He will be one years old the end of this month
An agililty class was what worked to tone up Bison. Plus, it was lots of fun. The vet exclamed at least 3 times at how much he had bulked up since his last visit. We also train for Schutzhund, so I am sure that helped too.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Since he is so young, I would not be in a rush to put any weight on him at this point. Even though he was starved, most German Shepherds will naturally go through a lanky phase at this age and appear skinny and not well proportioned. Once he gets older (two years, three years) he will start filling out more, so there's no need to put a lot of weight on him now.

As far as putting muscle on him goes - exercise will help with that. Whether you get into a dog sport or just spend time going on long walks, runs, etc. anything would help getting his muscles built up.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Why would get mad if someone calls him a wolf?lol. I would take it as a compliment!=D

Back on topic, I agree with what everyone else is saying.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Why would get mad if someone calls him a wolf?lol. I would take it as a compliment!=D

Back on topic, I agree with what everyone else is saying.
He is young and as stated above he will fill out naturally, assuming he is healthy and well-fed. If he is a natural fetcher, there are a number of throw toys you can use to exercise him, including a frisbee. If possible, walks in the woods are great exercise if he is free to chase squirrels, etc.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well Bianca is 26" and weighs 70 lbs so I would guess more than that. :D
It depends on the dog's build though, I've heard of GSDs who are Bianca's height weighing 85+ lbs if they are really stocky.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Karlo is 27",maybe a bit taller(I'm in denial) and is 93#. He is long in body and muscled at 19 mos. I know he will fill out, but I only want him to gain a few more at maturity.

If you have the opportunity to have your dog swim, that is excellent exercise and will put on muscle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts