German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Piper be a saddle back pattern sable?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yes, and she is beautiful

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Doesn't look sable to me at all, but I could be mistaken. She looks like she'll just be a blanket back.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She already is a patterned sable. You can clearly see the saddle. The picture of her from the side with the breeze blowing her coat, you can see the fur is tan with black tips.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you i know she is a pattern sable...not a blk/tan..and I was wondering if you think she will be a saddle pattern.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She looks like a lightly pigmented saddle back to me.
Pretty dog.
How old is she?

No she is a pattern sable..her mother was a sable and her father was blk/red..
Thank you :) She is about 16 and a half months old

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
She is gorgeous! Pattern sable saddle back. No blanket as the "saddle" does not extend past her hip bones or shoulders.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I thought a patterned sable WAS a sable that is lighter and thus shows a saddle pattern?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Kenya was a patterned sable. At times her "saddle" was a bit darker and people have mistaken her for a black and tan, but both her parents were sable.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Agree with the others - that is a saddle on Piper. A Blanket would extend over a larger area. She is a patterned saddle-back sable. Very common outcome when mating a black and red saddle to a sable.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I thought a patterned sable WAS a sable that is lighter and thus shows a saddle pattern?

That's exactly what it is. Shasta is a patterned sable. Zena is a patterned sable. Shasta's mom was a patterned sable.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with the others - that is a saddle on Piper. A Blanket would extend over a larger area. She is a patterned saddle-back sable. Very common outcome when mating a black and red saddle to a sable.
Thank you castlemaid and ya I have notice thats a common outcome for those two coat patterns..Cool how every dog looks different though! Im wondering though. Her mother was a very faded sable..How does it work that Piper was not as light as her..Her father was a rich blk/red..Ive recently posted pics of them in one of the threads..long haired german shepherd i think its called. Anyways guess I will repost pics of her sire and dam

Pics I got from the breeder this winter

This is her mom Sally

Her dad Buddy

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thank you castlemaid and ya I have notice thats a common outcome for those two coat patterns..Cool how every dog looks different though! Im wondering though. Her mother was a very faded sable..How does it work that Piper was not as light as her..Her father was a rich blk/red..Ive recently posted pics of them in one of the threads..long haired german shepherd i think its called. Anyways guess I will repost pics of her sire and dam

Pics I got from the breeder this winter

This is her mom Sally

Her dad Buddy

Every dog is different. Just because moms saddle is more faded, doesn't mean Piper's will be. Shasta is darker than her mom. She's 3 and her coat hasn't changed any further since she was about 2. Some dogs are darker and some are lighter. That's just them.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every dog is different. Just because moms saddle is more faded, doesn't mean Piper's will be. Shasta is darker than her mom. She's 3 and her coat hasn't changed any further since she was about 2. Some dogs are darker and some are lighter. That's just them.

Thanks I was just curious.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Are you puzzled by my saying that the dog is a good example of a patterned sable?

On the forum we have many members asking what type of sable they have. Many asking if their dog is a patterned sable with some responses being , yes, when it really is not. Just a good old plain solid well pigmented sable dog.

This dog , Piper , is what a patterned sable looks like . I have a female just like this , both parents sable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts