German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pet sitter who comes everyday to walk/feed and take care of Grissom who's 11 weeks old while I'm at work has mentioned something interesting to me. She said that when she is there he is active and alert, but he walks around and whines. He doesn't need to go out, just whines and then plays with a toy, then walks around and whines, finds another toy etc. He'll play with her too, but then whines. I have NEVER heard him whine before other than when he wants to go out and then he does his business and he's perfectly fine. He's not a whiner at all. What do you think this means?

·
Registered
954 Posts
^ I agree. Nellie will cry for my BF if he leaves.

·
2,967 Posts
Tag vocalizes when he's really excited. He whines and walks with me, usually jumping around. Sometimes the whining is an expression of nervous energy.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sounds like separation anxiety and restless energy/boredom. Does the sitter take the dog anywhere or just stay there?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that helps me out. Right now my professional pet sitter isn't taking him anywhere since he hasn't had all his shots and he had giardia. So, she pretty much takes him in the backyard (an acre of land) plays with him, then brings him in the house and feeds him lunch, calms him down and puts him back in his crate until I get home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mine whines when he is playing with his toys and when i come home. i'm putting it down to being excited.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Does she engage him or just look at him? A whine means to me "look, play lets go!" Tug toys, balls to fetch or a frisbee will squelch it. Walks not so much....if he has a fav activity share it with your pet sitter or maybe s/he has something they can suggest to get out puppy energy!

I have two dogs that whine, and it hasn't ended with maturity with Onyx. She is just vocal, but I can usually read her whines. Much rather have a vocal pup, I like that! Howls are a bonus!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think he is reacting to the slight stress of you not being there. Nothing he wont be able to deal with just fine, but it's how he is expressing he reaction to you being away, kind like a nervous tick. I bet it will get a lot better she is able to take him places too.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I too believe that he misses you :(

My friend Amanda is living with me now and the other night when I went to take a shower I left Sin out in the living room with Amanda. While I was taking a shower I heard Sin bark, cry, whimper, scratch and body slam the bathroom door. He was very upset that I didn't bring him in there with me. What a baby, I didn't even leave the house! :rolleyes:

I love my big silly puppy :wub:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
He's looking for you.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo is very vocal. During play, if I stop the game (phone call etc.) he'll be very quiet for a few moments, and then whine and smack me with his big paws. If this doesn't start the game again, he'll run to his toy box and bring something else, drop it in front of me and then start complaining....

If I'm not at home, he'll look for me but not whine. He'll just accept it and go on with life. But if he sees me outside through a window....Good Lord...the entire neighborhood can hear him. It isn't a bark, it's more of a Aaaarrroooooaaahhh....Aaaarrrroooooaaaahhhh till hubby tells him quiet.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hondo is very vocal. During play, if I stop the game (phone call etc.) he'll be very quiet for a few moments, and then whine and smack me with his big paws. If this doesn't start the game again, he'll run to his toy box and bring something else, drop it in front of me and then start complaining....

If I'm not at home, he'll look for me but not whine. He'll just accept it and go on with life. But if he sees me outside through a window....Good Lord...the entire neighborhood can hear him. It isn't a bark, it's more of a Aaaarrroooooaaahhh....Aaaarrrroooooaaaahhhh till hubby tells him quiet.
LOL!! I sooooo know this sound! hahaha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts