German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Your dog's sire's side has some fairly decent working line dogs in the pedigree. However, a fairly large number of the dogs have no titles, even though they come from well-known kennels.

The dam's side, not so much. They are AKC registered dogs with no titles, with cutesy names like Boo Boo Bear vom Toomey. We call this 'pet breeding', as it was done with no purpose other than to produce dogs for the pet market, with no health or temperament testing. Some of the dogs on the dam's side are white GSDs: Daybreaks Otto Moonshine

A number of the white dogs do have titles in either conformation or performance, but they are REALLY far back in the pedigree.

So, not the greatest pedigree in the world.

Love your dog anyway, and don't put limits on him or yourself just because of a pedigree! You never know what he's capable of until you try!

He's a handsome boy, and I love his colouring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your dog's sire's side has some fairly decent working line dogs in the pedigree. However, a fairly large number of the dogs have no titles, even though they come from well-known kennels.

The dam's side, not so much. They are AKC registered dogs with no titles, with cutesy names like Boo Boo Bear vom Toomey. We call this 'pet breeding', as it was done with no purpose other than to produce dogs for the pet market, with no health or temperament testing. Some of the dogs on the dam's side are white GSDs: Daybreaks Otto Moonshine

A number of the white dogs do have titles in either conformation or performance, but they are REALLY far back in the pedigree.

So, not the greatest pedigree in the world.

Love your dog anyway, and don't put limits on him or yourself just because of a pedigree! You never know what he's capable of until you try!

He's a handsome boy, and I love his colouring.
Thank you soooo much for the info!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Let's see if this works! Getting pictures the right way up on this site is sometimes difficult.

Edit: nope...like I was saying!! I turned it the right way up so I could research it, but it still won't post that way.

Just had a bright idea: post it to a phone or tablet, then disable the screen rotation function, and turn the screen so the pedigree is the right way up!

Or...you could stand on your head! :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Let's see if this works! Getting pictures the right way up on this site is sometimes difficult.

Edit: nope...like I was saying!! I turned it the right way up so I could research it, but it still won't post that way.

Just had a bright idea: post it to a phone or tablet, then disable the screen rotation function, and turn the screen so the pedigree is the right way up!

Or...you could stand on your head! /forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
It works for me when I click on the image (displays upright)

·
Registered
31,803 Posts
I just flipped my tablet around ;)

·
Registered
31,803 Posts
I am curious how a sire that is black (a/a) and a dam that is black and tan for generations could produce a bi-color. The genetics are just not there to support that.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am curious how a sire that is black (a/a) and a dam that is black and tan for generations could produce a bi-color. The genetics are just not there to support that.

I’ve met him in person, he’s more blanket Black and Tan than a bi-color. He lost his toe penciling and tarheels. A sweet boy though.

·
Registered
31,803 Posts
I’ve met him in person, he’s more blanket Black and Tan than a bi-color. He lost his toe penciling and tarheels. A sweet boy though.

Then he's a black and tan, not a bi-color. Seems like the breeder should know a bi-color wasn't possible.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Then he's a black and tan, not a bi-color. Seems like the breeder should know a bi-color wasn't possible.
Not disagreeing there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here he is as a puppy

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Cute pup.

He's not (he's definitely blanket black and tan), but you could get a bi-color from any black and tan dog that carries it as recessive. Not likely looking at the pedigree, but possible.

The breeder certainly should have known that he was black and tan as opposed to bi-color. Just goes to show how many people don't understand the difference between blanket black and tan and bi. If you look through the "show me your bi-colors" thread in the pictures forum here, you will see as many, if not more blanket backs than actual bi-colors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts