German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several posts for critiques. I was just curious how you all would evaluate my 7.5 month old.... I know this may not be the proper positioning but I am not sure how to get that from her?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lol or not...:eek:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You have to place most dogs in a stack and tell them to STAY. Some GSD's will naturally walk into a stack when they stop walking or are told to HALT.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
There just aren't very many people on the forum who can give a proper critique, may have to wait a bit.

Meanwhile, I would try to get a better pic - out of the shadows, standing on level ground, feet visible, looking forward instead of the camera, if you can.

A proper critique may shoot down my comment, but from the little I know, he has a nice level top with flat withers (flat withers is a fault - the smooth level back is not. :) ). The croup could curve down some more (he is built like a box). Very nice TIGHT feet (a plus!), nice pasterns. Looks to me like he could have more angulation in the rear, but it could be just how he is standing. A proper stack would help.

Big blocky head on him, strong masculine features.

He is still in the young teen wonky stage, so his conformation may still change as he grows up.

For stacking, most people just physically move the dog's legs into the position they want and tell them to stay/stand. Put a toy or treat on a chair in front of him out of the picture to get him to look and focus ahead.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There just aren't very many people on the forum who can give a proper critique, may have to wait a bit.

Meanwhile, I would try to get a better pic - out of the shadows, standing on level ground, feet visible, looking forward instead of the camera, if you can.

A proper critique may shoot down my comment, but from the little I know, he has a nice level top with flat withers (flat withers is a fault - the smooth level back is not. :) ). The croup could curve down some more (he is built like a box). Very nice TIGHT feet (a plus!), nice pasterns. Looks to me like he could have more angulation in the rear, but it could be just how he is standing. A proper stack would help.

Big blocky head on him, strong masculine features.

He is still in the young teen wonky stage, so his conformation may still change as he grows up.

For stacking, most people just physically move the dog's legs into the position they want and tell them to stay/stand. Put a toy or treat on a chair in front of him out of the picture to get him to look and focus ahead.
Thanks for your response :) ... I will try for a better pic. I had to laugh though, she's a female. I have always said she is built very male-ish... LOL She also a big girl that comes from fairly big parents. She is around 80 pounds now and 7.5 mos old.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to place most dogs in a stack and tell them to STAY. Some GSD's will naturally walk into a stack when they stop walking or are told to HALT.

Thanks for responding... :) I will try for a better pic I had just snapped this one while we were outside and thought I would see what others thought about her build.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Young female with flat withers, OK topline and croup, but the croup needs to be longer. Good angulation front and rear, she appears balanced. Good bone, good pasterns and feet. Big head, eyes are light for my taste and I would like to see richer color, but may improve with age.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Young female with flat withers, OK topline and croup, but the croup needs to be longer. Good angulation front and rear, she appears balanced. Good bone, good pasterns and feet. Big head, eyes are light for my taste and I would like to see richer color, but may improve with age.
Croup needs to be longer... is that due to her stance? Flat withers? is that an age thing? is it significant outside of the show ring?

I am hopiing she grows into the head... lol

What do you mean eyes are light? color?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I am still learning... and thank you for your response..:)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know why I was thinking it was a male, LOL! I apologize to the owner. :)

And Lisa's critique is the one to listen to, she is the one who knows a lot about conformation.
No offense taken... she is more handsome than pretty.. lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have attached some pics that are a little bit better I think...:confused: I also weighed her this weekend and she is 82 pounds at 7.5 mos. and looks like she is starving... lol
Let me know what you think of these ... please:p

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no critique. But to say, holy moly she's huge!! And one good looking girl!
Thank you..:) She does not look big enough to weigh that much to me but I weighed her 3x just to be sure.... I need to measure her again but to me she does not seem to be incredibly tall for her age.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
I'd guess a good solid sable girl - most likely primarily working line as it seems show lines have moved away from sable. All that is is a guess on my part - nothing of any authority at all.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both of her parents are WL..:)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
She's beautiful, and HUGE! She's got 15 pounds on Lisl.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's beautiful, and HUGE! She's got 15 pounds on Lisl.
Thank you... Do you mean huge as in weight or in height also? She does not seem big to me body wise just solid as heck!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
She carries it very well. I was mostly talking about weight. It's difficult to judge how tall she is not knowing how big the boy is holding her.

Lisl is 23-1/4" at the top of the shoulder. Your girl doesn't appear to be any taller and like I said, she carries the weight very well. I can't tell how broad she is.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She carries it very well. I was mostly talking about weight. It's difficult to judge how tall she is not knowing how big the boy is holding her.

Lisl is 23-1/4" at the top of the shoulder. Your girl doesn't appear to be any taller and like I said, she carries the weight very well. I can't tell how broad she is.
I need to measure her again... that is my 15 year old son who is about 5'11" right now... (not that it helps any LOL)

I have attached a front facing pic from a couple of weeks ago... like I said she is not that large to me... I don't know where she hides it... :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Croup needs to be longer... is that due to her stance? Flat withers? is that an age thing? is it significant outside of the show ring?

I am hopiing she grows into the head... lol

What do you mean eyes are light? color?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I am still learning... and thank you for your response..:)
Croup won't change as she ages and, no, wasn't due to how she was standing in the original photo. It may look better as she matures and muscles up more.

The wither can be improved with biking and exercise (when she is older), but only so much. Yes, it matters in the conformation rind.

Yes, the color of her eyes is light, at least for my tastes. I like a dark eye.

No stupid questions and, despite Lucia's comment, I am not an expert. LOL Just have a pretty good eye most of the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts