German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple of weeks I noticed a strange behavior when it comes to my dogs and the mail lady. Usually when she passes by my house I am not home, but lately she has been passing later than usual. Anyways, once my dogs see her across the street they start barking. Once she gets to my house Schatzi starts her barking but nothing crazy, however Cudi does get crazy! He starts aggressively barking and growling at her.

Yesterday I went outside with them when I knew she was approaching my house. I had them sit and stay, Schatzi did good, but Cudi broke the stay and rushed the gate barking and growling. I approached him and just gave him a kick poke on the side to snap him out of it and he gave me somewhat of a growl but he saw I gave him that "don't you dare look" and quickly laid down and snapped out of it.

Other people have approached my house and they just bark and mind their own business. With this mail lady it's a different story. Cudi is well socialized. He always goes with me every where. People pet him and he is chill. He has never showed this type of behavior before.

Any thoughts on this? I want to put an end to this before it becomes something bigger.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Every day the same 'stranger' approaches your house. Every day the dogs, especially Cudi, warns her off and she leaves.

It is self-rewarding behavior.

You could see if the lady is willing to try meeting Cudi and offering him treats. That way he can associate her with GOOD things.

You could also work on his Leave It command and be outside every day when she comes.

The easiest option is to make it so they cannot SEE her and so they won't bark at her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts