German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home with Cubby from the breeder I bought her from - I wasn't expecting the dog to bolt!

When I let out of the car, she fled on all four feet with the leash trailing faster than I could catch up with her.

And as it was around midnight, the prospect of finding a black dog in pitch darkness wasn't too good.

In my town of Salida, folks are helpful and the local and state police wll be on the lookout. I have also filed a report with the Arkansas Valley Humane Society that if she winds up there, they will notify me. I sent them the photo that is my avatar.

As a deaf person, this dog is special to me. Its my first GSD and I'm afraid as long as she's missing something terrible will happen to her! It hasn't been a good night and despite calling out her after searching the neighborhood, she wouldn't respond.

All I'd like is to have her home, safe and sound and the cold and snowy weather isn't one for a dog to be outside for hours.

Thanks for any people in the Salida-Poncha Springs-Buena Vista area who are GSD owners can provide.

Please pass word along to GSD Rescue Of Central Colorado so they can help to reunite the dog with me.

I appreciate every one who can help and while I will look for her, I have no idea where on earth she might be right now.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
If you are on facebook, please post there/and craigslist is also a good way to get the word out. I hope you find her! I'll be happy to crosspost on my facebook wall....how can people contact you if she is spotted?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
place an add in your city paper and your town's paper.
place fliers all over town and in neighboring counties.
give the paper boy $10.00 and let him stuff his papers
with the fliers. have your family, friends and neighbors
distribute the fliers at the malls, area stores and place
them on car windows. good luck.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Definitely post on craigslist - when I find a dog, that's the first place I look.
Get in touch with every animal-oriented business around and tell them what she looks like and how to contact you if someone comes in with a matching dog.

Fliers everywhere, at every house. You can go to an office max or similar and get hundreds printed for very little.

If you have a facebook, post on local rescue pages, Lost and Found pages, etc. Ask all of your friends to repost her picture/info. Make a facebook if you don't have one, it's a fast way to get the word out.

Nearly every time I've been able to return a dog to it's owner is when they are out looking, driving around calling for their dog or going door-to-door.

Is she microchipped?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are on facebook, please post there/and craigslist is also a good way to get the word out. I hope you find her! I'll be happy to crosspost on my facebook wall....how can people contact you if she is spotted?
E-mail..... I've already posted on CL. I am on FB and will post there. Does any one have any idea where GSD's go when they escape? It would give some idea of where to begin looking.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is she microchipped?[/QUOTE]

She is microchipped - with the previous owner's info. There is a good chance if the shelter picks her up - her info can be updated and I already sent her photo to them to let them know she's my dog.

I've also given her description to the police.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
share out that Facebook page - friend some GSD people, some GSD boards, and the post for her missing will be shared widely - all of us have 'friends' who have friends in other areas...I might have 2 or 3 friends in CO who have many many local friends who have local friends....put the city and state name in the header so it is easily seen

She may have just run blindly or may be hiding somewhere closeby...start checking all the roads nearby and ditches beside the roads :( :( ......are there coyotes in the area????

Good luck !~ I hope she is found soon!

Lee

·
Registered
381 Posts
How far are you from the previous owner? She may try to find her way "home".

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
share out that Facebook page - friend some GSD people, some GSD boards, and the post for her missing will be shared widely - all of us have 'friends' who have friends in other areas...I might have 2 or 3 friends in CO who have many many local friends who have local friends....put the city and state name in the header so it is easily seen

She may have just run blindly or may be hiding somewhere closeby...start checking all the roads nearby and ditches beside the roads :( :( ......are there coyotes in the area????

Good luck !~ I hope she is found soon!

Lee
I checked all the local roads and I called out her name and she doesn't
respond to me - I just adopted her! There may be coyotes in the mountains but not in the rolling range outside of town. At age, I'm not in that good shape that I can look beyond my immediate neighborhood for her. I scoured several blocks in both directions and she's nowhere to be seen and no one has seen her as I far as I know. I have no idea how far she ran last night or even where.

Right now I'm exhausted and I haven't slept all night. I'm a nervous wreck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How far are you from the previous owner? She may try to find her way "home".
90 minute drive from Lake George. Its possible she still thinks its "home." Its funny as I adopted her only last night and she seemed to take a liking to me!

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Do your neighbors have kids? Give them each a fiver to walk around - assign streets....give a reward of 50 bucks if anyone of these kids finds her.....keep checking with shelters and police...put up signs...let the kids do it while they search...call 'puppy puppy' as she may not really know her name!!! seems like most people call their litters attention to meals by saying 'puppypuppypuppy' in a higher voice

just some ideas!

Lee

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do your neighbors have kids? Give them each a fiver to walk around - assign streets....give a reward of 50 bucks if anyone of these kids finds her.....keep checking with shelters and police...put up signs...let the kids do it while they search...call 'puppy puppy' as she may not really know her name!!! seems like most people call their litters attention to meals by saying 'puppypuppypuppy' in a higher voice

just some ideas!

Lee
No - I called the previous owner and she told me the dog was microchipped so if a vet or animal shelter recovers her, its possible for her to notify me if they hear anything on their end.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
NormanF, can you link your fb page so we can share? YOu can start a public page easily if you don't want to share your profile.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solved!

I'm happy to report the sheriff's department found Cubby - she had been wandering east on Hwy 50 and they picked her up before she came to real harm. She was taken to to the local veterinary hospital and the Humane Society arranged for the police to open the hospital so I could take her home. Cubby did not run off this time.

Now she is resting comfortably. She's a sweet dog and my cats don't think she is a threat. I can think they can all live together in my apartment!

Cubby will have to be spayed and I will soon make arrangements for it. I hope every one else gets reunited soon with their beloved dogs. The day has ended on a happy note! :D

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
wonderful news! Get a seatbelt for her. That way she's belted in the car until you put a leash on her and release her. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm so happy you found her! I'm sure she's had enough excitement for a couple of days.
BTW, Welcome from Boulder!

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Have been checking this all day!!!!! So so glad that Cubby was found.... I assumed she was a puppy, but maybe not...hard to tell from the perspective in the photo!

Anyway....glad glad glad she was not hurt and found....Keep a short lead on her all the time so you can get ahold of her for now...and especially if you take her in the car...

Give her a hug from me!

Lee

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have been checking this all day!!!!! So so glad that Cubby was found.... I assumed she was a puppy, but maybe not...hard to tell from the perspective in the photo!

Anyway....glad glad glad she was not hurt and found....Keep a short lead on her all the time so you can get ahold of her for now...and especially if you take her in the car...

Give her a hug from me!

Lee
I willl...she's like an overgrown child who doesn't know better sometimes. Every one who meets will love her. For a 3 year dog she ha a sweet temperament. But she has to get used to living in a new place, not easy for her. I just have make sure I don't lose the leash when she comes out of the car and I have teach her to sit and come when called.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Glad to hear Cubby has been found safe!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
:happyboogie: so glad she's home..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts