German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old boy. I was getting concerned with his small size, at 7 months he's 48lbs and 20" tall. I just took him to the vet and found out he has cryptorchid. His one descended testicle is on the small side and the vet said he probably won't be getting much bigger. I know he needs to get neutered before his undescended testicle gets cancerous but I'm concerned if I get him neutered too soon he won't fully develop and remain very small. Any advice on how I should proceed? Does he still have a chance of getting any bigger? For the record he's very healthy and I know size isn't everything, I'm not expecting nor wanting him to be 100+ lbs I just want to know if anyone else had a small cryptorchid and how they went about neutering and what I can do to help him develop and grow to his healthiest size (supplements, if any; already feeding him high quality food).

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Glad you asked. You can have the internal one removed at a later age as this as this is not an emergency. You can leave the other one to produce the needed-for-health testosterone. He them will be just as an intact male as a male with two testicles. Make sure the vet who performs the surgery is aware of your preferences. One of my males in the past was cryptorchid and he kept his only testicle. If you decide to fully neuter him anyways, then I would wait another year to do both procedures at once. This is not a dog you should breed as the condition hereditary.

·
Registered
870 Posts
We got the dog in my avatar (Beau) at the age of 6 months...he was a cryptorchid.. but not small at all....he was neutered (both testicles) at 9-10 months he weighed 65ish at that time... but over the next couple years he continued growing and filling out to 88-90 lbs depending on when/where he was weighed. I'm no Vet.... but it's difficult for me to wrap my brain around around a 7 month old and "he probably won't be getting much bigger"regardless of what time frame you use for neutering.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
One of my current GSDs is a cryptorchid. I haven't gotten him neutered yet. I'll probably wait until a little after his 2nd birthday..which is coming right up. It's okay if you wait a while to do the procedure, I think.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
my gsd is crypt, he was small at 7 months too, and then ended up being top of standard. he's just over 2 , havent removed the bad ball yet lol, and 85-87 lb

·
Registered
69 Posts
My one ball wonder

Glad you asked. You can have the internal one removed at a later age as this as this is not an emergency. You can leave the other one to produce the needed-for-health testosterone. He them will be just as an intact male as a male with two testicles. Make sure the vet who performs the surgery is aware of your preferences. One of my males in the past was cryptorchid and he kept his only testicle. If you decide to fully neuter him anyways, then I would wait another year to do both procedures at once. This is not a dog you should breed as the condition hereditary.
Huh, this option was never presented to me. I like it though. My boy Rego is also a crypt. He is 6 months old and 60 pounds. This is something I will look into and consider. I think he looks very handsome and manly with his one ball!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My boy right now(Chase) was cryptorchid when we got him at 8 weeks. Both didnt drop, I was really worried about it as well at the time. I didnt want to neuter him before he turned 1. So i did it when he was about a year and 2 months. He's doing good now a year afterwards. So thats an option as well. My vet did do it with laser surgery too. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Two different vets told me it was fine to leave my crypt intact until 2 to let him grow with his hormones. I finally had that testicle removed when he was about 2 and a half.

My boy is a bit bigger than expected. i don't think your dogs size has to do with the testicle

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Max had a retained testicle. The vet told me it could always drop but it never did. I wounded up neutering him at two. The retained testicle ended up being near his kidney so it was an extensive surgery - laser surgery helped quicken with the healing process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts