German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey tends to cry for no apparent reason. I’ve seen other german shepherds do it. But the noise is so obnoxious and squeaky, that it really annoys me. What could the reason be? And is it something that can be trained not to do or do I just need to deal with it?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I`d have he/she checked at the vet, rule out anything medical, you can tell the pup to stop it, I have a 9 year old male, rescue, the most impatient GSD I have ever had, when I dont stick to the schedule he wines

Reactions: Baileyshuman

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,790 Posts
Could it be bordem? Something making a noise that he is answering like a squeaky motor or high pitch electric whine?

Are the ears reacting and trying to tune in something?

If you engage does the behavior stop?

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Nora is the same way, but she has been incredibly noisy since I picked her up at 9 weeks. In fact, she yowled, screamed and wailed for the entire 2 hour drive home. It hasn’t gotten better, It’s just her.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`d have he/she checked at the vet, rule out anything medical, you can tell the pup to stop it, I have a 9 year old male, rescue, the most impatient GSD I have ever had, when I dont stick to the schedule he wines
Thank you :)
It’s definitely not medical, though it is very persistent.

Could it be bordem? Something making a noise that he is answering like a squeaky motor or high pitch electric whine?

Are the ears reacting and trying to tune in something?

If you engage does the behavior stop?
It could be boredom, maybe? He tends to do it if he has to lay down and/or settle. He’s been on a long off-lead walk and play today. Yes, usually he’ll stop if I get the ball out to play (no matter how long we’ve been out for). He’s done it since he was young, and I’ve just been telling him “no.” but it doesn’t tend to work. If I ignore him for long enough, he’ll just flop down and go to sleep. But he’ll sit and do it for twenty minutes on and off beforehand. Super squeaky, super irritating.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nora is the same way, but she has been incredibly noisy since I picked her up at 9 weeks. In fact, she yowled, screamed and wailed for the entire 2 hour drive home. It hasn’t gotten better, It’s just her.
Yeah, Bailey as well. I probably just need to get over it and put headphones in or something 😬

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bailey tends to cry for no apparent reason. I’ve seen other german shepherds do it. But the noise is so obnoxious and squeaky, that it really annoys me. What could the reason be? And is it something that can be trained not to do or do I just need to deal with it?
My dog whines when we’re sat at a crossing waiting to cross. In our case it’s rapid onset boredom! He is constantly in “go” setting until he’s wiped out at night.

If I recall your dog is WL and similar age to mine. Maybe it’s a similar problem?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dog whines when we’re sat at a crossing waiting to cross. In our case it’s rapid onset boredom! He is constantly in “go” setting until he’s wiped out at night.

If I recall your dog is WL and similar age to mine. Maybe it’s a similar problem?
Oh yeah, Bailey sounds the same. He cries over almost everything when he’s excited and it doesn’t bother me if I know the reason because I’ll just give it to him and he’ll shut up. It’s only when we’re at home and doing nothing that it’s annoying. But yeah, it might just be that he’s always on the go mentally?

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I feel your pain, lol. Nora starts wailing/crying when I put my turn signal on in the car. Apparently that means we are getting closer to where we are going. I don’t pretend to even figure out her brain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I feel your pain, lol. Nora starts wailing/crying when I put my turn signal on in the car. Apparently that means we are getting closer to where we are going. I don’t pretend to even figure out her brain.
Aha, she sounds just like Bailey. He scream-cries when we get to his favourite park (but only if we drive there). The at home crying must just be something that I’ll have to just ignore and wait out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes the indicator!

Rudolph can go berserk with the indicator - it used to mean we were going to his favourite place but now I drive him all over the place to desensitise him. Occasionally he’ll think we’re somewhere interesting but actually just merging onto the motorway!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh yeah, Bailey sounds the same. He cries over almost everything when he’s excited and it doesn’t bother me if I know the reason because I’ll just give it to him and he’ll shut up. It’s only when we’re at home and doing nothing that it’s annoying. But yeah, it might just be that he’s always on the go mentally?
The worst is in the morning. When he wakes up he has the loudest whiniest yawn. We live in a terraced house so the neighbours must wonder what we do to him every morning!

In reality he’s just been awake for a few seconds and bored already.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Becca was definitely a noisy whiny pup. Thank goodness she out grew it mostly. I gave her the stink eye and made her go to the kitchen if she was really noisy.

Reactions: Baileyshuman

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,453 Posts
Welcome to the club! Nadja whines about everything. I grab her prong collar or toy… whining, we go somewhere she knows is going to be fun.. more whining, she’s bored… again, whining. It’s annoying when I’m just trying to relax on the couch for a few minutes after a long day but I’ve otherwise come to accept that that’s just how she is.

·
Registered
White Swiss Shepherd
12 Posts
She/he is waiting for you to come and play. Do it, and the whining will stop. Do it for long enough, and the whining will not instantly start again. These dogs need something to do, playing or training or walking.... they are not good at occupying themselves.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My dogs a whiner, too. Really more of a shrieker when he gets excited about things. Sometimes it’s because he knows we’re about to go out and other times it’s because he believes he DESERVES to go out. If I haven’t exercised him yet, I will wait until he stops whining and then take him out. But if he has been exercised, I ignore him and he will give up and settle down. If I allowed it, I’m pretty sure my dog would literally never stop going. He would be a little furry dictator if I gave in to his demands every time he wanted to go play.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Ahhh...the pushy whining behavior. Your dog is trying it's darnedest to train you into doing what it wants. Once they think a routine has or should be set they enforce it with the whining and squeaking noises. We spend a lot of time saying stop it...quit...no...knock it off and mine is 9.5. It's so annoying. We still love them all the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised this is so common because my latest rescue GSD has the same issue. I've had him 10 months, and he only does this in the car, not at home: a constant high-pitched whine with every breath. Sometimes he settles down for a few minutes, but eventually starts again. Maybe he's traumatized by being in a car because his previous owner drove him somewhere and abandoned him? (He was picked up as a stray in Bakersfield, CA, by Animal Control.) Anyway, he's gotten slightly better because at first he tried to desperately escape from the car, through windows, into the front seat, etc. I soon had to put up dog barriers between the back seat and front, and another for the cargo area, so that he has to stay in the back seat. But his anxiety gets so bad that he still occasionally tries to force himself over the barricade to get into the front seat while I'm driving 70 mph. Or I think, "He's calmer today; let's try opening the window a bit for him to put his head out." That might work for a few minutes, but then I notice him putting his front feet on the window as if he's going to jump out. So when that happens, I roll the window up to 3 inches open. All of his other training is going well, and I really do need to start working on this. I thought of using my Dogtra 2300 ecollar set on vibrate for every time he whines, but I haven't done it yet. I haven't actually used the ecollar on him for training so far. He's very sensitive, and I want to wait until our (balanced) trainer supervises me. We had a private class once and used the ecollar on a low setting for "Stay," but I have been waiting before I fully get into it. I really only plan to use it for a reliable recall. But maybe the "vibrate" setting might work for car whining.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts