German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquestion i have a GSD and she cries a lot after we go to work i have a camera and i monitor her from my work or my iphone , she is only 12 week old is that normal for her to cry?:cry::cry:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
make sure that when you put her in the crate you don't make a big departure production ,which excites her , same for when you come back , don't "rescue" her and throw a party , let her out matter of fact manner, let her do her potty , then when you and she are settled , get back together and go for that walk.
You watch her on camera , that winds up your anxiety at work , you come home, emotions are high , not going to help the dog come to terms.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make sure that when you put her in the crate you don't make a big departure production ,which excites her , same for when you come back , don't "rescue" her and throw a party , let her out matter of fact manner, let her do her potty , then when you and she are settled , get back together and go for that walk.
You watch her on camera , that winds up your anxiety at work , you come home, emotions are high , not going to help the dog come to terms.
thank you it's true about what u saying i get worried about her and the neighbors we live in aparment. no sure if they can hear all that :-(

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have you tried looking up "crate games" yet?

Also, before putting her in the crate make sure she's good and tired and maybe a frozen kong with a little peanut butter will help as well to give her something to focus on between you leaving and her falling asleep

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm not sure if you have something on for you puppy, but I leave "puppy radio" on for my puppy when I leave (he's 11 weeks today). The crate is in our computer room and I went through and selected mellow mp3s on my computer and made a puppy playlist that I play for him while I'm gone. What with the only light coming from the monitors I figure it's a nice naptime scenario for him while I'm gone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah the only thing that works with her is to walk her last night at 2:45 am she started to cry i got her and did about 10 min walk she was tired i put her back and she went to sleep
( thanks god ) I need to try the music thing i am at work now i am going to upload some dog song to my computer and play them i will see her reaction from the camera . thank you.

Galathiel - yes she has some toys with her even a fake dog with a heart heartbeat and one of my sock inside

·
Registered
482 Posts
I may get hung out to dry for saying this, but I had a lot of trouble with my rescue barking his face off in the crate no matter what I did... Kongs, toys, so tired he would not even play. I bought the thing you see on TV Bark Off... Best 12 I ever spent and he is super calm in his crate now as well. I only put him in there when we are not home or its nap / bedtime.... I dont use it any longer only took a couple weeks and he was done barking and carrying on. He is much happier in his crate and always relaxed in there now too... ( I do give him a kong as well when he gets in so it is always a positive place but the bark off stops the barking / whining)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I may get hung out to dry for saying this, but I had a lot of trouble with my rescue barking his face off in the crate no matter what I did... Kongs, toys, so tired he would not even play. I bought the thing you see on TV Bark Off... Best 12 I ever spent and he is super calm in his crate now as well. I only put him in there when we are not home or its nap / bedtime.... I dont use it any longer only took a couple weeks and he was done barking and carrying on. He is much happier in his crate and always relaxed in there now too... ( I do give him a kong as well when he gets in so it is always a positive place but the bark off stops the barking / whining)
I think that may be a different scenario. The OP is describing a 12-wk old pup crying.

I adopt older dogs, so have no puppy specific advice, but second the calming music effect :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think that may be a different scenario. The OP is describing a 12-wk old pup crying.

I adopt older dogs, so have no puppy specific advice, but second the calming music effect :)
I completely mis-read it I thought it was 12 MONTH... I also use classical music to calm mine he seems to really like it when he is being super hyper in the house for no good reason...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have my computer streaming dog music now lol she is laying down. i am keeping an eye on her via my ip camera just to see if she like it.i will post back

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
yeah the only thing that works with her is to walk her last night at 2:45 am she started to cry i got her and did about 10 min walk she was tired i put her back and she went to sleep
( thanks god ) I need to try the music thing i am at work now i am going to upload some dog song to my computer and play them i will see her reaction from the camera . thank you.

Galathiel - yes she has some toys with her even a fake dog with a heart heartbeat and one of my sock inside
I would schedule pee breaks at night, certain times that are on YOUR terms. I ignored my puppy at night when she was crying if it wasn't the times I set on my alarm to take her out to pee. If you bring her out and walk her every time she cries at night she will learn to cry whenever she wants to come out.

It should pass with time, she will get used to you being away. Within a month or so it should decrease a lot :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would schedule pee breaks at night, certain times that are on YOUR terms. I ignored my puppy at night when she was crying if it wasn't the times I set on my alarm to take her out to pee. If you bring her out and walk her every time she cries at night she will learn to cry whenever she wants to come out.

It should pass with time, she will get used to you being away. Within a month or so it should decrease a lot :)
i really dont care if i dont sleep at night i can ignore her no problem.. but my neighbors may complaint that is my fear i may have to send them cookies or something lol

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I guess I am "old fashion"......my wife and me have raised and trained 6 prior GSD's to our current young lady, and never once did we use a crate. I know I will receive some heat and discussion from some, but hope my views are received with an open mind.

Our dogs have always been allowed free run of our home, with one exception, when house training we would make sure the puppy was allowed time outside before we place him or her in the laundry or bathroom room prior to leaving the house for any prior of time, assuming we both should leave. Once the puppy was house trained they were then given free range. [Yes, there would be an accident from time to time, but stern words were used to correct and lead the dog to the door and then the grass and allowed to potty, with words of praise]

In all the years, we have had one pup destroy a shoe of my wife, and Maggie our current young lady, chewed on the coffee table leg, while we were out.....the repair was simple....:) All dogs were taught to stay off the furniture, with one exception, Maggie is allowed on one leather couch.

About the crying............Maggie, will bark at my wife and me when we leave as she expects to go each and every time. But once we leave she will go to the front window lay down and watch out side until we return. When we drive in our drive way you can see her looking out the window. Since we have lived in our current home two other GS have done the same thing.

My point is I can not justify the use of a crate for any training...or to just leave a dog for extended period of time, while out shopping, etc......To me(IMHO)it is not fair to the animal. Our GS's should be responsible member of our/their homes.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i have my computer streaming dog music now lol she is laying down. i am keeping an eye on her via my ip camera just to see if she like it.i will post back
All right, you are too tech savvy. I'm jelaous of your setup...you turned the music on remotely and now you get watch what effect it has? Too cool.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to second or third the crate games. Mine just turned ten weeks old and that first week home from week 8-9 was pretty bad. We played crate games every day, especially after play. Its disheartening for awhile. It was more difficult training Grim (my gsd) than Marley (my apbt). Marley was a lot easier to train for the crate.

Needless to say he calms himself after 2-5 mins with minimal whining and I feel he's getting to the point where he won't wine any longer shortly.

Stick with the crate games, and work on 10-15 min periods away then come back when the pup isn't crying then double it during the day when your home. And feeding in the crate. I thought I was ready for how vocal they could be but it just took some getting used. Marley doesn't bark or make any noises so it was a large adjustment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All right, you are too tech savvy. I'm jelaous of your setup...you turned the music on remotely and now you get watch what effect it has? Too cool.
lol yeah i am a network engineer it was fun setting all this up. but i am checking her out every 10 min not good for me lol.

I am just using logmein.com to coonect to my computer and i got an IP camara from amazon , connected to our network and did a port forwarding in my router so i can access it from any where .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all for all tips i will try them and post what has work in my case. so far aslong some one is at home and close to her she is an angel ..music seems to relax her but not a 100% cure yet ... i will keep trying

·
Registered
874 Posts
they have a pet radio station like pandora -- it's awesome! I used to put that on when it was bedtime for Roxy and within 5 minutes the whining had stopped and she was asleep. Now she doesn't need it but it sure was a life saver that first week / 2 weeks at 11 and 12 weeks when she did need it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they have a pet radio station like pandora -- it's awesome! I used to put that on when it was bedtime for Roxy and within 5 minutes the whining had stopped and she was asleep. Now she doesn't need it but it sure was a life saver that first week / 2 weeks at 11 and 12 weeks when she did need it
it's her 3rd day at home and 1st night was crazy then 2nd even more but yesterday i did the test and i am currently monitoring her with a camera and she is playing inside her crate no craying . i hope my internet doesn't go down on me, i better have some CD's for backup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts