German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last while, Ryka has been whining after eating. We’ve been trying to pin point why before going to the vet again, because it doesn’t seem related to pain or severe discomfort of her teeth or stomach. She can eat treats or snacks throughout the day without issue, and has no issue chewing on bully sticks or Whimzies.

But after eating breakfast and dinner, once she finishes she has to find her black, furry dead squeaky toy, and she carries it around while crying. Then she digs in carpet or blankets, and usually won’t settle unless she can lay down in her favourite spot - her head on my pillow and curled up in my bed. Even then she’ll cry a little here and there while hoarding her prize. If we put her in the crate or her indoor/outdoor pen, then she doesn’t cry. It’s just around us with the toy immediately after eating.

Any ideas? We’re about to leave on a two week trip and I don’t want to leave her uncomfortable or unhappy while we’re gone.

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
That's odd. What happens if you take her out for a walk directly after eating? If she's busy does she continue to try to cry?

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
How old is your dog.

What has vet said since you mentioned going to the vet again.

What tests have been done..

Pretty hard to leave a dog in that state.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's odd. What happens if you take her out for a walk directly after eating? If she's busy does she continue to try to cry?

Nope. If she’s busy or occupied, she doesn’t cry. If she’s crated, she doesn’t cry. It’s super weird and we’re touch perplexed by it. She’s not showing any sensitivity issues to the food either, so I’m not sure if it’s food, gut, or just mental. She’s a very vocal dog and will sass us much like a husky would, and she also whines whenever she wants something.

Is she still intact? Could she be coming into season?

She finished her second heat at the end of June. She’s a December/June cycle at the moment. I had an issue with her having a slight infection after going swimming awhile back (vaginitis), but it cleared on its own and with monitoring by us and the vet. I’m planning to keep her intact until she’s four.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Shadow does this about 8 weeks after every heat. Multiple breeders have assured me that it's normal for some females.
We started with Lambie. Now we have Lambie, Dragon, Bunny, Weird Pokémon looking thing and the squeaky ball. It's a messed up litter. Lol. If your girl follows the apparently common pattern after a few weeks or a month she will get bored and move on.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hah! So now we have the answer! I guessed right!

The tipoff was that she doesn't do it when crated, and the timing - 8 weeks after her heat, which is when she would have normally had pups if she'd been bred.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I got two cautions, if she gets aggressive at all put a stop to it and some breeders feel it MAY increase the chances of pyometra. The breeders that I asked were split on the pyometra. Some felt strongly that it was a risk and some felt it was no more so then otherwise.
ALL agreed that in Shadows case if it happens we will risk surgery but it is safer to wait and see. I expect they would feel the same about waiting for maturity to spay.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s very interesting to learn about! She’s my first in tact female. Most of the females I have known were spayed by a year and a half at the latest, and generally by a year in most cases.

She must be going through an interesting hormonal stage, because she also tries to hide this toy away in dark places throughout the house. Yesterday she hid it behind our storage room fridge, and had left it there for the night, lol. The next morning she rushed to go grab it. It seems to wane in the sense that it’s not always a priority - if we put it away, she doesn’t seem to care or be at a loss. I let her take it in the crate if she wants, too, because she doesn’t want to destroy it. Though she does chew it voraciously when she carries it around, lol!

Definitely no aggression towards people when she has it. She’s never been possessive or aggressive towards people for anything. In fact, yesterday I was throwing this poor “pup” around for her... oops. She’s always been a touch on edge with other dogs if they’re too in her face and definitely will try to establish herself among other females if they push her buttons, but is otherwise social and doesn’t care much about their existence.

I knew asking would help ease my mind, thanks everyone :) Thankfulky she’s staying with my partner’s family, and they know her very well. We all go to the same vet, so if there are any issues that I’m unaware of I know she’s in good hands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts