German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm.....we're in our 4th week of obedience classes. One technique we were taught not but a week ago was how to retrieve your dog if they happen to get loose. Well, that has never happened to me and never will because I'd take a bullet for my dog, I love him too much to let something like that happen. Someone has to be pretty careless. Well that what I was thinking when she was explaining what to do if it does happen.

Guess what. I'm an idiot. My dog caught me completley off guard today in the parking lot of our Petco. We had just come out, I decided to let him walk in the grass thats in the middle of the parkinglot islands. He seemed calm and collected and was just sniffing the ground when all of a sudden he jumped straight up in the air about a foot and put slack in the loop going around my wrist and off he went! Holleee jumpin crud! He started taking off around a hydrant and circled back to me and hit the ground but was in play mode. You know what I mean. Well my training kept me calm, I didn't yell at him, knelt down in front of him and he eyed his water bottle I was holding. The crinkling sound it was making caught his attention to where he didn't just take off running. I was scared to death. It's a busy area in the middle of the day. I just talked to him in a nice calm tone and retrieved him back.

OMG! That was a close one! But my training in class was the biggest help. I used to go crazy yelling and hollering and stuff. It only drives them farther away sometimes. But I believe my obedience classes help save my dog from getting hurt today.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Phew close call, I had that happen the more you scream and yell and chase the more they run.. It then becomes a game to them and the chase is on lol.. Good job remaining calm :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is your puppy? i think your class should have taught
you don't let your dog off leash untill he/she has a proofed
recall. i'm sure you learned that today.

·
Registered
942 Posts
how old is your puppy? i think your class should have taught
you don't let your dog off leash untill he/she has a proofed
recall. i'm sure you learned that today.
He wasn't off leash. OP said he managed to slip the leash off her hand and run.

Good job getting puppy back!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts