German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Got the go ahead from the vet to start increasing exercise. Slowly. No pain, no limping, no weight shifting but she does this odd little hitch every couple of steps so we need to see if that is something or nothing. We agreed that given her nature we need to get her back up to regular walks before we let her have any room to run. If I put her in the yard right now she would likely go crazy, so the goal is to increase freedom very slowly.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Got the go ahead from the vet to start increasing exercise. Slowly. No pain, no limping, no weight shifting but she does this odd little hitch every couple of steps so we need to see if that is something or nothing. We agreed that given her nature we need to get her back up to regular walks before we let her have any room to run. If I put her in the yard right now she would likely go crazy, so the goal is to increase freedom very slowly.
Have you been doing any sort of strengthening/pt type exercises with her? I guess if you aren't comfortable doing them it could backfire but just like having her laying down and working her back leg(s).

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, it has been a week of increased exercise. I am probably moving this along much slower then I need to but I need this leg to hold up. So for a few days we lengthened all three walks by half a block, but enforced rest in between. Then I put all the distance on her morning walk and shortened the other two back a bit. So far so good, except that she was limping on her front leg again yesterday. It seems fine today.
As far as strengthening, I taught her years ago to lay on her back and "peddle" into my hands. That is about the best I can do. I think that was because of a leg injury as well.
As I am able to walk her more she is settling better. We are up to about 2kms a day, so a ways to go but better then a couple of blocks. If I can get her up to 5-8kms a day at least I can keep her fit. I normally walk fast enough to keep her at a slow trot, so the last few days I have been letting her trot for half a block or so. Otherwise I walk slow enough to keep her walking.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So, long before this injury I suspected a spinal issue. In her lower lumbar area there is always heat. And she loves when I massage there. It is not uncommon for her to walk with her back hunched a bit, especially when she wakes up.
We are up to around 3kms a day but I notice every once in a while she hesitates or misses a step.
When we did the follow up with the vet she indicated that her diagnosis was a partial tear based on the refusal to bear weight and some laxity in the joint. But as I watch her gait I cannot help but wonder if this is all spinal.
That said, it would explain why I saw the very dramatic change on the Metacam since it is an anti inflammatory.
Yesterday she struggled a bit with the steps, so I will need to monitor that.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts