German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hear from others who have dealt with this. Right now Shadow is on six weeks of crate rest, I'm hoping to avoid surgery. She seems fine walking on level surfaces but cannot put weight on it. No one seems able to define "short walk", I have settled on once around the block morning and night with a mid day walk just far enough to pee. This is not even close to the distance we normally cover, and two days in she is vibrating. This leaves me faced with can I walk her a bit further or do I stay firm and risk her getting crazy on me?
I am alternating between crating and just leaving her loose with the bedroom door closed to prevent getting on and off the bed. The apartment is tiny so she hasn't much room to move anyway.
I need to know what I am doing wrong! I need to know if avoiding surgery is possible. Cannot be done right now anyway, but I could really use some experience here. I have never had a dog do this.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well dang it, that sucks. I am no help other that I hate that this happened.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If you're allowed to in these carona virus times, can you safely put her in your vehicle and take her for a car ride, windows down far enough so she can use her nose? That's what we did with Nitro when he was recovering from elbow surgery. Just getting him out of the house helped.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're allowed to in these carona virus times, can you safely put her in your vehicle and take her for a car ride, windows down far enough so she can use her nose? That's what we did with Nitro when he was recovering from elbow surgery. Just getting him out of the house helped.
I thought of that. But when I backed my car out to take her to the vet the brakes were grinding and pulsing. I am hesitant to dump money on brakes since I have no clue when I may work or have an income. If she needs surgery it's going to be tight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My ACD mix tore her ccl late last winter. We waited, hoping it was just a slight tear and would resolve itself. It was very hard to keep her rested but by summer, she was walking with no limp. Then she turned sharply while outside and tore the whole thing. She completely couldn’t put weight on her leg. We did the surgery and her long crate rest and rehab was assisted with meds. I am a big ball of regret and frustration with myself for not doing the surgery earlier but it’s expensive and invasive and we were hoping to avoid the trauma. So I understand trying to avoid the surgery.

I think there is another post on Shadow and sorry, I have not read that one. But I believe the goal with her crate rest is to build up enough scar tissue around the ligament to support the tear. Have you thought of a brace in combination with sleepy meds?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've read posts here and elsewhere about dogs that recovered after doing crate rest.....but JMO I suspect those dogs were strained-sprained or had a partial tear.....when the ligament is torn into 2 separate pieces it won't heal on it's own......I think some dogs after rest may "appear" to be better but it doesn't last after returning to a normal routine.....
I think in the midst of the virus and not working...as CeraDean said if a brace is an option I'd check into that for now......

When Cody tore his as a youngster it was a complete tear and the joint was very sloppy...in my mind back then surgery was the only option and that's what we did.....but if I was in your shoes I'd check if a brace is a option for the time being.....hopefully make it easier for you and Shadow to see a bit of normalcy in your routine.....I'm very sorry you and Shadow are going through this crap now with everything else going on in the world......

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
You are going with conservative management? I can almost guarantee that it will heal over but she will reinjure.

Just keep her from jumping, no sudden starts/stops, no running, leash walk only (as you are doing). No jumping means on and off furniture too, even a couch.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. Right now we are doing leash walks and trying to contain the bouncing. Vet is saying partial tear. I basically keep her confined to living room and kitchen with crating for a couple of hours at a time several times a day. I have a half flight of stairs to get in and out of my apartment. I have been letting her walk her front end up while I lift her back end to get up them but I have no choice but to let her come down on her own. They are narrow and steep. When I tried carrying her it was scary.
She seems to move just fine as long as she does not put pressure or weight on it. I am not optimistic about it healing but at this point we cannot do surgery anyway so management is my only option.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My GSD tore her ligament at age 9 or so. I declined surgery for a few reasons. I rested her. She recovered and hiked and ran with me until 11 years when she got lymphoma. For that dog, I'd make the same decision. It depends slightly on the dog and his/her activity and your financial situation as well - I mean we can't pretend that $5K is nothing! But her last couple years were far better because I didn't put her through a traumatic surgery. It's tough. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just be careful with braces as it can weaken the leg. After/during brace use you’d probably want to do gentle strengthening exercises. If you’re near a body of water you could maybe do your own sort of water therapy. Gentle walking in the water, probably not swimming.

My cousin has been having to do crate rest with her dog for the same problem. And I just had to do crate rest with mine for a different issue. It sucks majorly but the less they are active the less stress on the injury meaning it can have a chance to heal. Dogs can be rambunctious so even free in the house they can hurt themselves. Particularly when bored and full of energy. I kept my guy leashed to me to prevent him from acting crazy.

My coworker had some sort of similar injury or the same injury happen to her dog. I think it was 6 weeks of very strict kennel rest, gentle walks to go potty. I believe her dog healed up with no need for surgery and didn’t reinjure. I’m not 100% but I do believe it was the same injury. My cousin’s dog on the other hand has reinjured, but he’s a lab who isn’t careful with himself.

You could try to give some mental stimulation at least, toys she can chew on and gentle tricks if she’ll focus.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be careful with braces as it can weaken the leg. After/during brace use you’d probably want to do gentle strengthening exercises. If you’re near a body of water you could maybe do your own sort of water therapy. Gentle walking in the water, probably not swimming.

My cousin has been having to do crate rest with her dog for the same problem. And I just had to do crate rest with mine for a different issue. It sucks majorly but the less they are active the less stress on the injury meaning it can have a chance to heal. Dogs can be rambunctious so even free in the house they can hurt themselves. Particularly when bored and full of energy. I kept my guy leashed to me to prevent him from acting crazy.

My coworker had some sort of similar injury or the same injury happen to her dog. I think it was 6 weeks of very strict kennel rest, gentle walks to go potty. I believe her dog healed up with no need for surgery and didn’t reinjure. I’m not 100% but I do believe it was the same injury. My cousin’s dog on the other hand has reinjured, but he’s a lab who isn’t careful with himself.

You could try to give some mental stimulation at least, toys she can chew on and gentle tricks if she’ll focus.
I'm not generally a fan of braces, for exactly that reason. I'm just trying to figure this out.
Our routine so far has been that as long as she just chills I leave her loose, as soon as she starts getting mobile and revving up I crate her. I moved her food and water to the living room and I try and confine her to the basically 5x7 area rug. She is not a chewer so that won't work, and her focus sucks but I did teach her during a previous injury to push her ball back and forth to be with her nose and she likes that game.
We normally walk miles every day even in crappy weather and now that it's nice out she figures we need to go. I feel awful. She is vibrating just a few days in. In six weeks she's going to be insane!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had to crate the crazy witch because she was trying to do the 9pm couch vaulting thing. I feel so bad for her. It's going to be a loooong 6 weeks.
I don't even have a couch! Just the chair. sigh.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just had to crate the crazy witch because she was trying to do the 9pm couch vaulting thing. I feel so bad for her. It's going to be a loooong 6 weeks.
I don't even have a couch! Just the chair. sigh.
Try not to feel bad, keep in mind she’ll hurt herself because dogs don’t really know better. It’ll suck for sure but it’s better in the long run.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try not to feel bad, keep in mind she’ll hurt herself because dogs don’t really know better. It’ll suck for sure but it’s better in the long run.
I know. She has always been really high energy. It takes tons of work normally to keep her chill. When she was just a few weeks old she would run around until she literally collapsed. We spent the whole first month retrieving her little self from the walking areas in the house because she would just drop in mid stride. It just sucks. I feel like I've spent the last few days saying no, go lay down. She thinks she's in trouble all the time. I'm compensating by shoving treats at her and telling her she's a good girl. I know she's confused.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Tough situation, no question! Teach her new tricks, nosework, whatever you can think of to help her burn some of that pent up energy!

And in the end, walks are probably okay if she's not showing signs of being in pain. Six weeks is a long time, cabin fever is getting to all of us anyway, and not helping! But I think you've got this, you've been through worse right? Find a way to focus on the positive.

And if you need laughter, just tune in to US News...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Sabis, If I can find it, Moonshayde had a great update with a ton of things that she kept her pup busy with while on strict crate rest. Mostly teaching sedentary tricks but maybe it will be helpful.

Found it it is reply #4 (a reply to another thread)long but good info....

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are going with conservative management? I can almost guarantee that it will heal over but she will reinjure.

Just keep her from jumping, no sudden starts/stops, no running, leash walk only (as you are doing). No jumping means on and off furniture too, even a couch.
We are on day 4? I think and I am seeing no indications of any pain or lameness. This seems strange. I have never dealt with this before and I am unclear what it should look like so I am at a loss. I will continue with the Metacam and crate rest/exercise restrictions for now. But this is not the same dog that just a few days ago had a visible limp and was unable to bear any pressure at all.
Vet clinics now shut down completely but for emergencies.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
a groin muscle tear has the same symptoms of an acl. if she's on metacam it's probably reducing her pain.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts