German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I opened my new bag of Canidae Lamb and Rice to find the new formula (lighter kibbles). We'll see how this goes...

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Fingers and toes crossed!

No turkey, so we're hopeful!

Maybe a little yogurt and/or pumpkin to sooth the new food introduction?

(I just can't let things happen by themselves. I always want to tinker a bit!)

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I will be "seeing how it goes" right along with you.
I got my first bag of the "new" formula ALS today.

I am mixing it with the old formula even though you supposedly don't need to. I figured it sure can't hurt!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tracy, I wish I would have checked the ingredients first b/c I didn't know my next bag was the new stuff so today we ran out of the old. They got about a 50/50 mix today but tomorrow will have to be all new. The only older stuff I have is a little ALS, but Coke can't have turkey and he's the one with the more sensitive stomach anyway.

The new stuff is a different color and smells different. It looks and smells like the Natural Balance Lamb and Rice we tried. We liked that but our local pet store always has cheaper Canidae.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenya's poop was OK, Coke's was mushy but not diarrhea (I was able to rake it up, carefully)....

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well crap, his poop went from soft to liquid (same dump). I don't have any good remedies handy so I gave him an imodium and fed him a smaller meal. Grrr! I wish I'd checked the bag sooner!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I know it's a little late now but you should avoid Immodium unless they are really, really sick. It stops them up way too much. Pepto-bismal or something like that is a better choice. Just for future reference....

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stopping up might be good....he tends to be all or nothing. Either he's fine, or he's having blowout diarrhea, often in the house and in the crate, walking around in a permanent squat and scooting his butt.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Ack ... Lies, I'm sorry you're going through this with Coke. Abby used to have a really sensitive stomach and I can only imagine what poor Coke is going through with this very sudden change in foods.

Makes you wish they would clearly mark bags of the new formula with a "NEW FORMULA" sticker, so people can wean their dogs onto the new formula slowly, just like changing to a different brand of food or a different type of food.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: Historian

Makes you wish they would clearly mark bags of the new formula with a "NEW FORMULA" sticker, so people can wean their dogs onto the new formula slowly, just like changing to a different brand of food or a different type of food.
I know, I wish. It's partly my fault since I knew the new stuff was out there, I just didn't think it would be THIS different.

He seemed OK this morning so we'll see....if not I guess it'll be back to rice and ground beef until I can think of something else.

Kenya is fine but she has an iron stomach most of the time.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:
He seemed OK this morning so we'll see....if not I guess it'll be back to rice and ground beef until I can think of something else.
Since you already have the bag of new food and will eventually be switching completely to the new food, you could try this -

Feed rice with a little bit of pumpkin and a little bit of the new food. Gradually phase out the rice completely and then get rid of the pumpkin.

I've been in the same situation before and that worked for me. He won't get the greatest nutrition for a couple of days since there's all this rice, but this allows you to switch over to the new food and he doesn't have to go hungry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts