German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was bored tonight and decided to take Yukon to Ganders Mountain for some windows shopping. I went to the dog-collar section when I crossed way with two guys that checked out the DVD's. One of them was like "Wow, he's gorgeous. My mom has three German Shepherds too." I was like "Thank You." and let him pet him when he was like "Yeah, she has white one, a mix and a black&tan one." and I was like "And she's really breeding them?" and he said proudly "Yes!"
I didn't go any further into it and moved on when the Lady from the register was like "Ooooh, he is so gorgeous, can I pet him?" and again, he was petted. She started telling me that she is a German Shepherd lover, that they have had Shepherds for their whole life, that they were breeding them. I asked her if the dogs were titled and she said no and wondered if Yukon was fixed because he was so "mellow" (he laid on the floor waiting for me) and I said "No, he's not." and she told me that she didn't like males because they were so aggressive and territorial and that they had to put one male down because he bit her daughter and that it was because he was a light black&tan and she heard that the lighter and whiter they are, they more aggressive they are.

Now both her parents have a job and they want to get rid of them, hoping they can get a better home because they are kenneled all day long but the SPCA won't take the bitch because she's already 4 years old and that would be to old for the SPCA(they are always full and won't take anyone in over here). I suggested Brightstar Rescue and told her that they are really nice people. It's a no kill Rescue and they'd get her fixed and find her a new home.

I would have never thought I'd come across two people that are clearly affiliated with BYB's.... the color/aggression comment somewhat made my head hurt though... :help:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would have never thought I'd come across two people that are clearly affiliated with BYB's.... the color/aggression comment somewhat made my head hurt though... :help:
Welcome to the realization that the majority of upstate NY pet owners don't understand what responsible dog breeding, or even responsible dog ownership, means...:cool:

In situations like that, I guess you just have to look at it like "well, i'll never be purchasing one of you dogs, so why does it matter to me?". If someone is stupid enough to purchase a dog from a person like that, thats their own business. Consider this. Imagine your walking down the street, you see this beautiful woman in a fabulous red dress, and you say "oh, I just love that dress on you! I have one that looks just like it and got it from Macy's clearance rack. I wore it to my sisters wedding and everyone just loved it!" and she says "Well, I purchased this custom fitted designer gown in a New York City boutique for 2,400$ and would never be caught dead in something from Macy's, especially at such an important event like my sisters wedding". You may love your discount dress (because, really, what modest woman doesn't love a great deal :rolleyes: ) but this woman, who knows and cares a lot more about fashion, "may have never thought they would come across someone who shops at Macys and thinks their dress is comparable". Get it? What matters to us may not matter as much to someone else. From a purely social psychological perspective, all you'll really get out of the encounter with this woman in the red dress is that shes arrogant and a piece of $#!^ who thinks shes better than you because her dress costs more (which in reality, her dress probably IS a much better quality than yours)..... Soo, thats my two cents.

More importantly, you have a gander mountain that allows dogs?! Cool. I cant bring my guys inside anywhere in this part of CNY. :(

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
From a purely social psychological perspective, all you'll really get out of the encounter with this woman in the red dress is that shes arrogant and a piece of $#!^ who thinks shes better than you because her dress costs more (
Yeah, but she'll never have to pull my dress out of a dress shelter, try to fix all the emotional and psychological problems I caused, work around the ones that can't be fixed due to poor breeding, and find the dress a new, caring home.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Good grief! I have to say the color thingy is a new one on me :headbang:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Ignorance is bliss. :(
Ignorance is costly. The bliss ends when ignorance ends and you wake up to pay the price for your ignorance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, but she'll never have to pull my dress out of a dress shelter, try to fix all the emotional and psychological problems I caused, work around the ones that can't be fixed due to poor breeding, and find the dress a new, caring home.
Well having worked in a high-volume animal shelter for four years, I can honestly say I've only ever seen ONE dog actually walk itself in through the admission's doors. Dogs don't walk themselves into an overcrowded shelter, people bring them there. Rarely have I seen a BYB surrender a litter of puppies because they didn't sell. The biggest problem seems to be that there's a major deficit in our society's accountability and responsibility in pet ownership. BYBs wouldn't exist if there wasn't such an overwhelming market for purebred dogs. The reality of the situation is that there simply aren't enough GOOD, RESPONSIBLE breeders out there to support the overwhelmingly LARGE demand for purebred puppies. If there was no market for GSD puppies, people wouldn't breed their dogs knowing they had no where to go.

People need to stop exclusively blaming BYBs for the overwhelming amount of animals that end up in animal shelters and consider the possibility that irresponsible ownership is the leading cause of overcrowding in shelters. If people with two BYB GSDs weren't making any $$ off the puppies their dogs produce or didn't have any homes that would taken them, they likely wouldn't breed their dogs. For example, my co-worker just bred her crappy quality yellow lab bitch to another co-workers crappy-quality chocolate male. She did it because several people expressed a strong interest in wanting a puppy and are already lined up to purchase them. Tell me a way in which I can convince this girl that her dog isn't breed worthy when she already has good people with large sums of money already lined up for some of the puppies?

Me, I've got a BYB german shepherd I adopted from a humane society as a 4 mt old puppy and despite my best efforts to socialize her, shes grown into a train wreck as an adult with "emotional and psychological problems". So believe me when I say I know. Tell you what though, I know that I'm a responsible pet owner and regardless of the fact that her temperament is all whacked out because she wasn't bred right, I would never abandon my dog at a shelter. If everyone took responsibility for their dog with whatever temperament it ended up with, you wouldn't see any purebred dogs in shelters that need rescuing and rehabilitation. The dogs YOUR pulling out of shelters are not there because BYBs produce crappy quality dogs and there was a lack of available homes, but rather because PEOPLE are irresponsible owners and passed the 'responsibility' buck off to someone else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts