German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On short distances, Jax comes in straight.

But...on longer distances she ALWAYS pushes off and veers to the left in an arc which causes her to come in crooked.

She has HD in both hips, her right is the one that bothers her during an exam. Her right knee is the one that was injured last fall and still bothers her after certain things.

Would pain on the right cause her to veer to the left?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Which side are you rewarding from?

It could be the pain, but I would guess she is anticipating the reward.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You also may try and "help" her straighten out. I liked to use my hands/arms. I kinda look like I am flagging down a plane and showing them where I want them to land (bring them in front of my body). I then lure that out after a few times of them coming in at the right spot.

Also, I don't reward unless I have him straight, eye contact, etc.. Zefra for some reason (probably a lot of foundation work I did) always comes in night and straight and tight.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is the great anticipator...

My right hand. So...if she veers to my left and comes in crooked then she's right in line to just take off to get the toy. I've caught her doing this before because I throw with my right hand and her reward is most often a toy so I started putting it behind me on the ground or leaving it with her so she has to go back to it to break that pattern.

I also wonder if I created the problem but rewarding her when she corrected, after she came in crooked, and sat directly in front of me instead of just restarting. Maybe I need to back it up and foundation, go short distances and not reward unless it's perfect.

if her right side hurt and she was compensating for it, wouldn't she push off with her left so would veer to my right instead?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would think if the right side hurt she would veer to the right.

I use a homemade "chute" to get my dogs to learn to come in straight, you can use anything to make the chute, I've used dial rods taped to the top of cones, ring gates, pieces of wood or pvc, anything that guides the dog to front straight and makes them think twice about veering to the side,
I also never treat with the same hand, and if I'm rewarding with a toy, I've stuffed the toy under the front of my shirt so that the dog knows it's there. and then the toy "falls" out of my shirt to reward the dog.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is veering to her right, my left..but only on long distances.

I"ll try the toy in my shirt and see if that brings her in straight.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Pan does the same thing, on a longer recall or retrieve he wants to sit a bit crooked, to my left, on the finish. To fix this I've done two things: 1) sometimes when he comes in I spread my legs, toss the ball through and have him go straight through my legs 2) sometimes I step my left leg forward at the last second, to guide him in straight and prevent him from stopping crooked. Also, I reward WAY more in front than after a finish, and if I do a finish I do it separately from the recall or the retrieve. I think a lot of dogs anticipate the finish and that's why they come in slightly crooked to our left.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lies. I don't ever, ever, ever do a finish with her on a recall because she thought Come meant to come and heel. So I had to change the command to Front and retrain it.

I'll try throwing my leg out and see if that corrects her. I think I need to work on correcting her from the start. She comes out in a visible long arch to my left (her right) and that's why she's crooked. Maybe doing more of the ball through my legs is the key to getting her to come in straight at me? Have a lesson this Friday so will see what the trainer says also.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yeah, the reward through the legs might help. I don't do too much with my body because then the dog relies on lures (I don't like to rely on holding a toy at my belly button). Now that Pan is straight I'm proofing it by doing weird stuff and expecting him to stay straight.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like to use a toy or my body for a target either. I found that by doing that, she concentrates on wherever the toy or my hand may be instead of where she is supposed to be. In fact, if I hold a toy it's a guarantee she sit out of position in anticipation of the toy being thrown...omg...I throw with my right hand so she arches to my left and sits on my left because then she is in line to chase the toy and I"ve been rewarding her for coming in, sitting crooked, correcting her position.

wow....crud...got it figured out. Now to fix it. I hate it when I create my own problems! I'll try a combination of what you suggested tonight and see how that goes starting from shorter distances.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The toy should get dropped between the legs from behind your back. To start you have to teach them where the toy will appear so I usually down the dog in front of me then say "yes" and drop the toy behind me so my dog shoots through my legs to grab it. Then practice fronts where you reward by having the dog go through your legs for the toy. This way the anticipation of the toy is straight ahead so will not create crooked anticipation. The toy will be out of site to the dog as it is being held behind you when they come in.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next question...people will walk in the direction they are looking. You can draw a straight line by looking at the point you want to end...

So...will a dogs projected path also be affected by where they are looking? If she is looking at my hand as she's coming at me rather than my center, that would throw her path off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Next question...people will walk in the direction they are looking. You can draw a straight line by looking at the point you want to end...

So...will a dogs projected path also be affected by where they are looking? If she is looking at my hand as she's coming at me rather than my center, that would throw her path off.
I would say yes. Also not just her path but I would think she would then centre her sit off your hand if that is what she is looking at. I teach that eye contact is part of the exercise so my dogs stare me down the whole way in.

·
Registered
31,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since she comes in straight on shorter runs and maintains eye contact the entire time, coming in with her chin up and looking at my face...

....maybe she needs glasses!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts