German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.5 year old male, 28-28.5 inches at the shoulder, 85 pounds, neutered at 15 months old and go.........................

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Head photo taken on his birthday this year

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I really like the shape/outline of his head. Reminds me of my dog Nikon. Underjaw may be a little weak (Nikon's is), but I like the amount of stop and length of the muzzle.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lies. :)

Anyone else?

You can be brutal, lol.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm not a breeder, but Sinister is one of my favorite dogs on this board. So I'll tell you why. I love the fact that he looks masculine. There is no doubt he's a male. He has a solid appearance and doesn't have a weak look through this rear end (as some dogs appear to have).

I also like the smoothness of his tail head on down to his tail carriage. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it's pleasant to they eyes. There are a lot of GSDs I see on this board that appear to have a gay tail.

But I think my personal favorite thing about him is he has the look of an old soul in his eyes.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/critique-my-dog/94556-how-stack.html
this would be a helpful thread to read
he ought to be in a correct stack to correctly critique him

his head and face are very fox like with an almost dished style muzzle
jaw is undershot
that said he has a balance to him
i dont see an overly masculine dog here however i think because of his foxlike appearance
he has a dip behind his withers
some of the pics make him appear easty westy but not sure if that is because he is not in a proper stack
thats about all i got
he is a striking dog :)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'm still learning (trying to learn!), so take my critique with a grain a salt, and I'm probably not even using the right terms. I know this is just for fun, and a way to learn more about conformation.

He is a nice looking dog overall, so this is just nit-picky stuff:

Two negatives that I notice right away is how upright his pasterns are, and that his croup is higher than his withers. I also think he needs more angulation in his hind legs - though I'm still learning on what is good vs. not enough angulation.

I like his shoulder angle, bright very dark eyes, very nice ear set. Nice waist tuck-in - he seems in good weight. His feet look pretty good too, nice and round with plenty of depth to his pads.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Two negatives that I notice right away is how upright his pasterns are,
i am learning too :crazy: and find this fascinating
i noticed that about his legs the front legs are almost collie like
wasnt sure what to call that but now i know upright pasterns :)
should they be more angled?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really know how to stack but here is a side profile of him.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
OK withers, dip behind withers and a slight roach over the loin. Good length and position of croup. Good angulation in front though his upper arm should be much longer. Good to very good angulation in the rear. His pasterns are a bit straight, but the feet are very good. Very nice expression, dark eyes and pigment. I would like to see more bone, a stronger head and secondary sex characteristics.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
See, I'm still learning - to me, the back legs looked too straight - Lisa, you say he has very good rear angulation - what am I not seeing? Is it just the way he is standing that is throwing me off?

If the upper arm was longer, would that lift up the front half so that the croup would not appear higher than the withers? Or is the roach over the loin that makes his rear end look higher?

(Judging conformation is hard! I have a whole new respect for ring judges and those on this board who are so good at it).

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
The way he is standing doesn't help his rear. His butt is not high. It is the slight roach over the loin that makes it appear that way. Yes, a change in the front angulation would help raise the withers as would biking/swimming to increase the musculature over the shoulder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I will give it a whirl........

I see a male that has medium strength at best, weak underjaw. Very good pigment but either out of coat, or coat is a touch short. Clearly has issues with the topline, the biggest issue would be the break behind the wither, for such a light framed dog, he is a little deep in the chest. No need to mention the upper arm. It is a hard picture, but I don't see an issue with his pasterns, nor a problem with length of croup, or rear angulation. He looks Happy & Healthy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts