German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! This is my recently adopted GSD Reagan. She was found as a stray. I don't have a picture of her in a stack, but I do have some from the side. This is just for fun! I'm just curious what you guys think of her. :) she's a little over a year old. ImageUploadedByPG Free1407513546.317398.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1407513562.077851.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1407513594.183448.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1407513694.040243.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
366 Posts
She's lovely! She has wise eyes. It's wonderful that you were able to rescue her. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Feminine female with very nice color. Flat withers, good topline (seen better in second photo), good placement of croup that could be longer. Very good angulation front and rear with a nice long upper arm. She has nice thick pads, but the feet are not as tight as I would like. I think she may be a ASL/WGSL cross of some sort. Her head and long upper arm remind me more of ASL, but her topline and color are more WGSL. She has a very sweet expression.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the critique! That's interesting that you think she may be an ASL/WGSL cross. I've been curious what sort of lines she might be from. I don't know much at all about critiquing, but I did think her top line was too straight to be just ASL. I'm going to look more into the WGSL and learn more about it!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Is it normal for her back legs to turn in like this? I've never had a GSD before so I'm not sure what's normal. It's only when she's standing. When she runs/walks they're straight. ImageUploadedByPG Free1407633586.575895.jpg

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
what a charmer !

she looks like a good natural dog , balanced .
she looks like a well adjusted , healthy dog .
nice colour and pigment .
her toes are a little long and open - thick padding will give her a cushion . A dog with long and open toes and thin or no padding will fatigue . Just think of it as shoes with a comfort cushion insert .
she turns in at the hock a bit . Many dogs standing free and relaxed and normal do . This is an extra support for the weight.

there is a difference between cow hocked because of excessive angulation or loose ligaments and tendons which could stand to be tightened up . This dog looks like a pretty firm , well knit dog - not loose . Evidence is her pasterns which are nice .

a cow hocked dog will be sloppy in movement . Bet this one travels true .

maybe the OP can get a picture on here with her moving at a trot - side-view
you don't stand with your feet pointing straight ahead , like soldiers in a line up for inspection. Your feet turn out , or you shift the weight onto one hip.

nothing to be concerned about.

lucky you , lucky dog !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks guys! Is it normal for her back legs to turn in like this? I've never had a GSD before so I'm not sure what's normal. It's only when she's standing. When she runs/walks they're straight. View attachment 233450

Happens in horses too! They can be cow hocked or pigeon toed and as long as it doesn't interfere with movement it's perfectly normal! There are a few at my barn with feet facing different ways and it's definitely different to see but makes no difference in the life of the horse, just adds a little character.
She's gorgeous! You can definitely tell how happy she is!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what a charmer !

she looks like a good natural dog , balanced .
she looks like a well adjusted , healthy dog .
nice colour and pigment .
her toes are a little long and open - thick padding will give her a cushion . A dog with long and open toes and thin or no padding will fatigue . Just think of it as shoes with a comfort cushion insert .
she turns in at the hock a bit . Many dogs standing free and relaxed and normal do . This is an extra support for the weight.

there is a difference between cow hocked because of excessive angulation or loose ligaments and tendons which could stand to be tightened up . This dog looks like a pretty firm , well knit dog - not loose . Evidence is her pasterns which are nice .

a cow hocked dog will be sloppy in movement . Bet this one travels true .

maybe the OP can get a picture on here with her moving at a trot - side-view
you don't stand with your feet pointing straight ahead , like soldiers in a line up for inspection. Your feet turn out , or you shift the weight onto one hip.

nothing to be concerned about.

lucky you , lucky dog !
How does this picture work for showing a trot? ImageUploadedByPG Free1407682899.239651.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Dogs standing with their hocks inwards is not unusual. If she moves straight than she is not cow-hocked. She appears to be moving correctly in the photo. I have owned two cow-hocked dogs (and one horse) and it was pretty obvious when they moved.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
looks fine to me .

there doesn't seem to be any wasted energy - very economical in movement - a dog that is really cow hocked has a knitting , knit and purl type movement , lots of wasted energy and movement without going anywhere.

your female is just fine !

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for the info guys! I just wanted to make sure that was normal and that it wasn't something I needed to do anything special for. I appreciate all your critiques. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts