German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaiser will be 16 months old in 5 days. I snapped an updated stack picture and was SHOCKED to see a really nice topline (at least, in my non-professional opinion). He's generally had a "big butt" and a pretty straight back, but in this picture I see a very definite gentle slope which I think looks lovely. I do prefer straighter backs over the highly angulated ones you see in some american lines and the roached ones you see in some german show lines, but a gentle inbetween slope is totally acceptable in my opinion. Please ignore the big floof of hair over his rump and the smaller floof along the middle of his back (those are both all fur, not dips or bumps in his actual conformation).

almost 16 month stack by jsnail17, on Flickr

I'm sorry for how oversharpened this head shot is. The moment I think I get flickr/facebook's compression figured out they go and change things and all my photos look like crap again :(

floofies! by jsnail17, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I LOVE his topline. I think it's perfect!!

Thank you!!! I don't think I've seen him look "this good" yet, structurally speaking. I know my stacking hasn't always been the best, and I've come a long with with stacking and photographing myself, but what could have caused such a change in his conformation? I can't imagine this is part of the maturing/growth process, because if that was the case then how are breeders able to pick out puppies with the best structure to hold back when they are so young?

As a comparison, here is a picture I took April 13

1 by jsnail17, on Flickr

and one I took March 6

14 mo stack by jsnail17, on Flickr

Neither of the above photos show what the picture I took today shows. Maybe its a grooming thing?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Neither of the above photos show what the picture I took today shows. Maybe its a grooming thing?
I think a lot of it is just the way he is stacked :) He's overstretched in the most recent stacked picture - his rear leg is overextended there, whereas it's relatively parallel to the ground in the stacks from March/April.

Handsome boy and an otherwise great stack, though! Gorgeous headshot, I'm still getting the hang of Flickr's image compression too. And Facebook is the absolute worst.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a lot of it is just the way he is stacked :) He's overstretched in the most recent stacked picture - his rear leg is overextended there, whereas it's relatively parallel to the ground in the stacks from March/April.

Handsome boy and an otherwise great stack, though! Gorgeous headshot, I'm still getting the hang of Flickr's image compression too. And Facebook is the absolute worst.
First of all, your profile picture is AWESOME! :)

Secondly, I didn't notice that at first but you are right! Its amazing how much of a difference such a small movement can make.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i will have a shot at it;

overall a nicely put together well balanced dog. some people might get bent out of shape by the tufts of hair raised on the topline when in pics. medium bone and nothing too extreme. front legs seem short. unusual color. good topline with strong rear assembly and good angulation at rear. large erect ears. overall picture a happy, healthy active dog.

i have no idea what i am talking about.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will have a shot at it;

overall a nicely put together well balanced dog. some people might get bent out of shape by the tufts of hair raised on the topline when in pics. medium bone and nothing too extreme. front legs seem short. unusual color. good topline with strong rear assembly and good angulation at rear. large erect ears. overall picture a happy, healthy active dog.

i have no idea what i am talking about.
Thank you for your comments. If you look closely along his chest and under belly you will see hair several inches long that makes his chest look deeper than it really is. His elbows are about an inch-inch and a half below the curve of his chest (if that makes sense), so his legs are actually longer than they appear. Then again, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to be :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
gotcha, you noticed this as well, so i was not totally off by bringing attention to it.

i like yr dog but in any critique i would prefer to see a dog actually moving, boo-hoo to the stack imo.

BTW what technically is that coloration called and what sort of activity level has Kaiser, i am guessing an active dog??

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hes a sable ("long" stock coat)...cream/brown undertones with the black tips (I suppose technically hes a dilute red sable?). He's pretty active/high energy and I try to keep him lean. He's appx 77lbs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh...I suppose so :) I've always called it gaiting but I think its the same. Thing with kaiser is that he most often does this sort of sway step (both legs on the same side move together). I read somewhere that this is a more efficient way to move. He will gait/trot too of course but most predictably when someone is moving along with him to control his pace/speed.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
gotcha, don't be like a friend of mine did asked a stranger to get a pic and handed him her camera for a long shot at some tourist place, the guy bolted with the camera.

i find starngers generally helpful to take pics or there is mr tripod.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have a tripod but it wouldn't work in this situation unless i had vid on my camera (I don't unfortunately).

Oh yea, no strangers are getting their hands on my camera equipment OR my dog! Gaiting pics may be tardy in showing on here, but ill work on getting some as soon as I'm able.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
First of all, your profile picture is AWESOME! :)
Thank you!! He's the champion of crazy faces, that one :D

Secondly, I didn't notice that at first but you are right! Its amazing how much of a difference such a small movement can make.
Absolutely agree! And the stack may be technically incorrect, but I still really like how he is being presented. He's a gorgeous dog either way!

His topline definitely looks the best in that stack, I also think he has a good front and sufficient rear angulation. Nice high withers. Paws look like they could be a little tighter? He has great pigment around the eyes and on the nose and lips; I'd say that his eyes could be lighter but 1) it doesn't detract from his overall appearance and 2) it could easily be the lighting. I know my own dog's eyes can go from amber to a dark brown depending on the time of the day/the picture!

Hope that helps until someone better comes along with their critique!! Apologies in advance if I end up getting anything wrong - still learning :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
High withers, good topline, good placement of a croup that could be slightly longer. Very good angulation in front though his upper arm needs to be longer. Very good angulation in the rear. Pasterns could be firmer and I would like to see a tighter foot. He has good pigment, but I would like to see slightly darker eyes and richer color. His undercoat is a bit light for my tastes. His secondary sex characteristics could be a bit more pronounced at 16 months.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts