German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please critique my 16 month old black and red bitch. Do you think she could be a show dog? She is very obedient and protects the house well, disregarding her young age. Can you rate her 1-10? I try to brush her whenever I can because of my tight schedule. And leave anything else you would like to share ! :) thank you and have an amazing day!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Upload your photos to a file server and post the link here.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
If you look at your quick reply at the bottom, there is a small icon of a yellowish picture with mountains and a moon. Click that, input the image URL and enter.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Or if your using a mobile phone just download the petguide app, I find it a lot easier to post pictures from there..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and sorry for the bad quality of pictures, she is so energetic i find it near impossible to get a good picture of her :gsdsit:

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You're going to need a better picture of her stacked. Sorry...but from the one you posted she just doesn't look very good at all. I know its probably not this way, but it looks like her hips are above her withers.

Get her head up, and looking out (not back) so that we can really see her proportions because IMO her neck looks very long the way her head is down in that picture.

As for show prospects...what venue are you planning on showing in? She looks like she's German, and possibly coated, I know AKC pretty well and you probably wouldn't be very successful with her in that venue.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't know if it's the depth of the photo or not, but her legs seem to be quite short.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The proportions do seem out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try to get a better picture of her stacking. As for the show line, never mind I think I will maintain her as a guard dog and family pet. I'm currently training her and she's doing very well with obedience. I started about 1 month ago. I know I took way too long but I was busy with school and sports. Here is a video of her running in slow motion( sorry for the bad quality): http://youtu.be/zrltvD7Iv6I

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also do you have any tips or recital or anything to get her stacked. I know it's a natural position for them but my dog is very very active so she is always either laying down resting or running and playing. So it's hard for me to get her in that position. Also, do any of you have information about the Miami Obedience Dog club? I am going to try and take her today to look around and see but I would like a heads up and any past experience information would be fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also do you have any tips or recital or anything to get her stacked. I know it's a natural position for them but my dog is very very active so she is always either laying down resting or running and playing. So it's hard for me to get her in that position. Also, do any of you have information about the Miami Obedience Dog club? I am going to try and take her today to look around and see but I would like a heads up and any past experience information would be fine. Thanks.

This can help you get your dig in a good stack.

http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/the-gsd-stack.html

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Lol...a stack is not a natural position. It is a position that makes it look like their back end is in motion while the dog is standing still. You have to train a "stand" and then train her to allow you to place her in a stack. If started young (puppies) you can train them to stack out of motion (they'll come to a halt in that position) but for the rest of us that didn't do that you just need to train her to stand/stay and put her in that position.

Activity levels have nothing to do with it. Train her to stay in any position you want and she'll do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lol...a stack is not a natural position. It is a position that makes it look like their back end is in motion while the dog is standing still. You have to train a "stand" and then train her to allow you to place her in a stack. If started young (puppies) you can train them to stack out of motion (they'll come to a halt in that position) but for the rest of us that didn't do that you just need to train her to stand/stay and put her in that position.

Activity levels have nothing to do with it. Train her to stay in any position you want and she'll do it.
Who is talking about activity levels ?

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I took a look at your video - LOL, love the slo-mo voice. ;)

You'll need to get a video of her trotting freely in order to evaluate movement.

She looks a lot more balanced in the video than in that one picture you posted (that pic really makes her look weird) - another reason to try to get her stacked properly, and get a pic from a straight-on angle to do her justice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts