German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, he’s been vet checked. And I’m sneaking him into the forum because he’s 75% GSD ?. The vet said the smell was from his ear infections, and as soon as those cleared up, so would the smell. But he smelled like that prior to the ear infections, and his ears are now cleared. I’ve sniffed him all over because I’m a weirdo, but it’s been driving me nuts. His ears, when infected, give off a different smell. We had the vet check his anal glands, perfectly healthy. We brush his teeth 2-3 times a week, and no issue with his teeth, they checked that too. But it’s not his breath either, it is literally in his fur, from his neck all the way down his tail.

Excuse the graph description, but he smells like swamp butt. Like gross unclean butt. His coat is so thick, they had to shave him to the skin to do a scrapping. So far that has come back negative, but they are still doing some cultures on some of the scrapings.

This has been going on for about 8 months. No one wants to be near him because of the smell (guests, we love him stinky or not). He’s always been on Fromm since I got him, and hasn’t had any issues with it stomach wise. I groom him daily, and with a rake, I literally spent over an hour on him, and the fur never stops. I’m talking handfuls even after an hour of brushing.

The only thing that has changed is he started smelling this way after he was sprayed by a skunk (which he killed). We’ve bathed him many times since, even with a deskunk shampoo. Then the vet gave us a medicated shampoo encase it was a yeast growth on his skin. Bathed him a few times a week per directions. Did nothing. He swims in our pool daily, and he also smells the worst when he gets out. It’s a salt pool, so not heavily chlorinated. He doesn’t smell like wet dog like the rest of our brood, he smells like dirty butt.

Since I’ve been at the R.V., it’s so so so much worse because we are in closed quarters. We will leave for a few hours for exercise and fun, bike rides (he loves bike rides), training. As soon as you open the door to the R.V., you get smacked in the face with his odor, even though he was with me out of the R.V. So it’s just kinda sitting there marinating while we are out.

His undercarriage is healthy, he doesn’t scratch excessively, his poo’s are normal, his appetite is great, and his energy levels are always through the roof.

I’m so tempted to take him to a groomer and have him shaved just so I can get down to his skin with the shampoo. But I know it wouldn’t be good for him, especially since he swims a lot, and is in direct sunlight a lot. We have to put sunscreen on his muzzle and tips of his ears daily because he will get a sunburn if we don’t. Those are the only two places besides his undercarriage that you can see to him skin.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m going to have to do some serious work on the carpeting and couches before I leave the R.V., my sister would freak if she came up and it smelled like Crios in there. She’s OCD neat freak level, but even if she wasn’t, I’d never want to leave anything I borrowed smelling like a mans crack who just finished an Ironman triathlon.

The vet is stumped, I’m stumped. He’s never been to a groomer because I groom all my dogs, and do their nails also (except Lyka, she has to be muzzled and sedated, so the vet does hers). Should I take him to a groomer? They smell dogs all day, maybe they have experienced the smell and would know what it was.

Okay, I’ll stop rambling now. I found if I bike a little past the acreage, I get a cell signal, so I can check in occasionally.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
One of the reasons I don't like male dogs is because the few males I have had always had a funky, musky odor to them that drove me crazy! I don't recall it being overpowering, it was more like a petty annoyance.
The girls seem to always have a warm blanket/fresh grass smell and the boys smelled like, boys.
I cleaned houses for years and could always tell you which rooms were inhabited by single men because male creatures give off a distinct odor that is unappealing. Lol.
My first thought was the skunk smell can take FOREVER to dissipate, my second thought is that this is a dietary issue.
Beyond that I got nothin' but I sympathize and hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Getting soaked everyday stands out to me. If he’s got a thick coat, and he isn’t rinsed off and blown dry down to the skin, then I think that’s where your smell may be coming from.
This is what I'm thinking too. Very thick coats that don't completely dry can get moldy. It's not necessarily his skin but his fur that smells. Maybe try diluting a little organic apple cider vinegar with distilled water in a spray bottle and give a light spray daily. work into his coat and blow dry. Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and safe if he licks himself. Just be careful around the face/eyes if you try it.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting soaked everyday stands out to me. If he’s got a thick coat, and he isn’t rinsed off and blown dry down to the skin, then I think that’s where your smell may be coming from.
Oh man, I hope this isn’t the problem! His coat is excessively thick, and even the longer rakes can’t get all the way through his coat to the skin. And he takes random swims all day, so he’s mostly wet from midday to evening. In and out of the pool constantly. Then gets out, runs like crazy all over the yard, gets muddy running through the garden, and then jumping back into the pool. Rinse and repeat. (Well, without an actual rinsing).

I’m going to pick some apple vinegar during our trip to town today, see if that helps. Would it be safe on furniture? I’ve been using febreeze, but that barely does anything.

As for driers, if I’m going to need to dry him multiple times a day, what kind of dryer should I get? Lyka has a stock coat and doesn’t go near the water, so after baths I just rub her down with a towel and let her lay in the sun. That’s the same I’ve been doing with Crios too, but that’s obviously not working!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
@Jchrest on furniture I would use white distilled vinegar. It's clear and shouldn't stain. You can also try sprinkling baking soda on any upholstery/carpeting, let it sit for 15-30 minutes then vacuum thoroughly.

Another trick you can try (I've never tried it) some say works as an air freshener for strong odors it to just leave small bowls of vinegar out on counter. All natural and no worries about chemicals.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
You need to get a forced air dryer like the metro commander, or one from Flying Pig is good too.

·
Registered
743 Posts
One professional bathing and grooming might help. They use a hose attachment that pushes the shampoo well into the coat, then they rinse, then dry with the forced air dryer that Dogfaeries mentions. That ends the shedding when my daughter's GSD is blowing coat. You could also cut off the swimming by mid-afternoon so Crios has time to dry in the sunshine.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I’m a groomer (over 40 years). I’d suggest a good bath, finish with a vinegar rinse, and then blown DRY. If he’s going to swim everyday, you’ll need to rinse him well, and blow dry him when he’s done for the day. Be aware the drying can take a awhile. I groomed Carly recently and it took about 45 minutes to get her completely dry. She has a very dense coat.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
The Organic ACV by Springbrzis a great idea as long as you don’t mind him smelling like a salad all the time! LOL!!

Also, you can wipe out your dogs ears a few times per week to prevent smell/infection with a 50/50 mix of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and purified water. Keep OUT of eyes.

This is a homemade Skunk Oder Remover recipe from Dr. Karen Becker. It is not a recipe to be used every day, but if you want to give him a good “De-Odoring” the following may help!

In a pail mix:

• 1 quart hydrogen peroxide (the 3 percent hydrogen peroxide variety)
  • ¼ cup baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons dishwashing liquid
If you have a large breed dog, you may need to double, triple or even quadruple the mixture.
Wear dishwashing or other household gloves if you like during the whole de-skunking process.
Don't wet down your pet. Apply the mixture to your pet's dry coat from the collar back toward the tail. Don't pour it near the eyes because the hydrogen peroxide solution can burn them.
Lather the mixture into your pet's coat and skin. Rub the solution around for about five minutes or until the skunk smell starts to dissipate.
If the front of your pet is as stinky as the back, use a sponge to apply the solution to your pet's chin, cheeks, forehead and ears, being very careful not to go near the eyes. When you rinse the head area, tilt your pet's chin upward so the solution does not run down into the eyes, instead allow the water to run back off his neck.
If the front of your pet is as stinky as the back, use a sponge to apply the solution to your pet's chin, cheeks, forehead and ears, being very careful not to go near the eyes. When you rinse the head area, tilt your pet's chin upward so the solution does not run down into the eyes, instead allow the water to run back off his neck.
Do a complete rinse once the smell starts to decrease, then repeat the entire process again.
You may need to repeat the lather and rinse process up to three times, but it's a very effective method for removing the skunk smell from your pet.
Make sure to completely rinse the solution off your pet. Your final rinse should be very thorough.
You can't prepare this solution ahead of time and store it – it won't be effective when you need it. It must be made fresh, right before you apply it to your pet. So, it pays to make sure you have all the ingredients ahead of time!

Moms :)

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are all amazing! I gave him a good rub with the deskunk recipe, 4 times, then took him to a mobile DIY dog grooming place, got him brushed and fully dry, and before I left the RV I sprinkled a few boxes of baking soda on the furniture and carpeting. Came back, vacuumed it up, and no more smell! I ordered one of the forced air driers for home. I’m not comfortable taking him to a groomer (because hello, member of the introvert society, so I don’t people or do small talk well), but now I know how to keep him drink free! Over the moon excited, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
:happyboogie: :happyboogie: :happyboogie:

Keep a spray bottle of the 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV and purified water handy and when he comes out of the water give him a spritz all over, rub it in, and let air dry. Hopefully, this will give the "skunk bath" longevity!

Don't forget to wipe out his ears with it too! :wink2:
Moms :)

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
Glad you got rid of the evil!

If you haven't already, make sure his collar isn't harboring a bit of skunk... The last time one of mine got nailed, I couldn't figure out why the ghost of the putrid stench returned occasionally - turned out the collar was harboring some of it, even after Oxyclean, vinegar, etc.

When the collar got damp, the ghost of the skunk returned - once I tossed the collar, all was right with the world. ;)

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realized Crios is just too much for me to handle grooming on my own. He has an odd coat, and the amount of time it takes me to wash him, condition him, brush him, dry him, literally takes me an entire day. So I did some looking around, and found a groomer that is also a stay at home mom, and does grooming from home to be able to stay with her kids. She started out as a behavioralist, and completed that, and then went to grooming school. I messaged with her many times, DH talked to her on the phone, and I took Crios out for his first grooming session yesterday. Good lord, she is a miracle worker! He smelled so good, and looked so good that our senior took about 5 minutes to realize it was actually Crios. Not a fun 5 minutes. But here is the result, and I couldn’t be happier!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is interesting. My Tuff does not know about water. I want him to learn to love it. Then a bath would be possible. I’m thinking a kids pool in a shady spot would be something he would likely learn to crawl into by himself. I think I’ll put one out today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, I’ve got a kidde pool filled now anyway. Tuff has not acknowledged it yet but he will. I expect him to get in but it may take time

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, I’ve got a kidde pool filled now anyway. Tuff has not acknowledged it yet but he will. I expect him to get in but it may take time
Our male only sticks his feet in the water, plays with it, splashes and gulps in the pool. He wont actually get in and lay in it. He loves running through the sprinklers though and biting at the hose water. Our female on the other hand, will squeeze into any body of water she can fit into - lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Throw toys in. Shadow thought the splash pool was a gateway to ****, until I tossed a bunch of floaty toys in. Cheap plastic balls and stuff. Watch he does not eat them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ha ha, Rumo got bathed at the groomer and a man on the trail later that day said, "How do you keep your dog so CLEAN?!"
I explained that he was usually a grayish color. :)

Also, he smelled so fragrant that other dogs were probably unsure he was actually a dog!
Like, are you a dog?
Because you smell like a Human! :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts