German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a puppy that screams and cries in the car? I have one. Once the car stops like at a gas station or grocery store, she's quiet and calm. Car moves and the screaming starts. I wonder if she'll out grow this? Anything special we can do?
She doesn't get car sick as in throwing up or anything.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Keep on driving and don't pay attention. Do not use ear plugs though for safety reasons. Since she is not car sick, maybe give her a bully stick as distraction? How old is she?

·
Registered
199 Posts
She will be 8 weeks on the 14th
Wow, she is young! She may feel a little overwhelmed at seeing the world whiz by since she is so young and without her mama. Has she had all her shots? I won't take pups out in public until they are up on their vaccinations.

If you must have her in the car, maybe giving her a box to sit in will help her feel less exposed and overwhelmed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, she is young! She may feel a little overwhelmed at seeing the world whiz by since she is so young and without her mama. Has she had all her shots? I won't take pups out in public until they are up on their vaccinations.

If you must have her in the car, maybe giving her a box to sit in will help her feel less exposed and overwhelmed.
She's only had one vaccine. I'm not taking her out of the car any place since she's only had one. She'll get her second one at the end of this month. We have just been taking her for short ones like to the grocery store - a couple of miles. One of us stays in the car with her

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
These forst vaccines in these young pups don't do anything. Most likely they have killed their mother's antibodies as long as the pups were nursing. Anyways, since she is so very young I would put the crate close to the driver's seat so she doesn't feel lonely. Discard my earlier ideas as I didn't have a clue how old she was. Right now you are establishing trust so take it easy with her. With these wicked smart pups it is easy to forget how young they actually are. I have to remind myself this quite often. Yesterday he saw a news anchor's full face on TV and jumped backwards and barking. Normally I would have stressed about it but instead I remained calm, told him, "it's OK" petted him and he was fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at what age do you guys see the young pups start becoming more confident and curious about things like new people? We had my daughter and her family over today and the pup was not having it. They were quiet around her, not rowdy. But the pup just stayed at my feet and hid. We didn't force her so we just sat and talked and let her decide if she wanted to be part of anything but she just went to sleep.
It's just been so long since we've had a pup (15 years) that I have forgotten the stages and what they were like around 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
813 Posts
at what age do you guys see the young pups start becoming more confident and curious about things like new people? We had my daughter and her family over today and the pup was not having it. They were quiet around her, not rowdy. But the pup just stayed at my feet and hid. We didn't force her so we just sat and talked and let her decide if she wanted to be part of anything but she just went to sleep.
It's just been so long since we've had a pup (15 years) that I have forgotten the stages and what they were like around 8 weeks old.
They should be curious and confident even at 8 weeks old. Hiding under your feet would worry me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
none of the pups out of this litter were socialized when with littermates. I found this out after the fact. I had a third party involved in getting this pup so I was out of the loop and wasn't brought up to speed on how they were raised. Now I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm sure it does. Maybe it's genetics?? I really don't know

·
Registered
813 Posts
It could be genetics but I wouldn’t bet on that now. Kona is a Genetically fearful puppy, and between 8-16 weeks she actually liked people. shes two years now and it’s been a TON of work. She’s still afraid of people but it’s a million times better now. She completely got over her fear from dogs.

I met a litter that was 10 weeks old that had never been socialized. All the pups were fine meeting strangers for the first time but some of them were very scared of meeting kona, some were totally fine.

Do you have a trainer you trust?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could be genetics but I wouldn’t bet on that now. Kona is a Genetically fearful puppy, and between 8-16 weeks she actually liked people. shes two years now and it’s been a TON of work. She’s still afraid of people but it’s a million times better now. She completely got over her fear from dogs.

I met a litter that was 10 weeks old that had never been socialized. All the pups were fine meeting strangers for the first time but some of them were very scared of meeting kona, some were totally fine.

Do you have a trainer you trust?
no, no trainer. I am a trainer with exotics (zoo critters) Have done quite a bit of training with bomb detection dogs. Started them as pups thru finished work and getting them certified. Did quite a few years of Schutzund work with GSD pups/dogs.
this pup, so fearful of so much. Like she's never been outside to see a bird fly.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
none of the pups out of this litter were socialized when with littermates. I found this out after the fact. I had a third party involved in getting this pup so I was out of the loop and wasn't brought up to speed on how they were raised. Now I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm sure it does. Maybe it's genetics?? I really don't know
What do you know about her parents?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you know about her parents?
I'm going to PM you the breeder website where the parents are. I don't want to post them here since that could be considered bashing. I was put in contact with just the pup from another person. Been talking with her and she's worried as well. She will make it right either way. She's a good person. I just don't know (if only I had a crystal ball) if I should continue with this pup and hope for the best or get a replacement. Which is kind of what this other person is thinking. I'm already getting attached to this one but I want to go places with her and if she's trying to run away from people and other things, that won't be good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All that I can say is that it gets better.
My GSD is now 4 months old. He still wines quite a bit, but does not cry continuously.

After every ride we see a small improvement.

In the beginning he was afraid of his own shadow.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Max whined in the car as a pup for a few weeks and for this I thought he would be a whiner but is not at all. It passes it does. I guess as pups their equilibrium gets effected in some pups. I drove smooth and slow cracked a window open and made sure it was cool in car. We did short trips to fun places.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She no longer cries in the car. We've been taking her everywhere. And when we go for our walks, she has to go in the car because we don't have sidewalks (country living) so I take her to a place where it's safe to walk without cars speeding by. But she's doing great with the car. Sits or lays down on back seat and seems to enjoy it a bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She no longer cries in the car. We've been taking her everywhere. And when we go for our walks, she has to go in the car because we don't have sidewalks (country living) so I take her to a place where it's safe to walk without cars speeding by. But she's doing great with the car. Sits or lays down on back seat and seems to enjoy it a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts