German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never told anybody, but very early in my starting here on the board, I got this rather creepy PM from a person that seemed to have English as a second language ask me, "how much the dog?" I was pretty sure what he meant, but i played along and replied, "how much what??" He then wrote, "you can PM me." I didn't reply. Next day I got, "here's my phone #, we can discuss it." Creeped me out. Here I was so proud of my new puppy Max, posting pics and bragging about how smart he was and that rude [email protected]%& actually thought I would sell him!! Strange?? Has anybody else experienced that here? In retrospect, I should have saved his info and called him out.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't see where he was asking you to sell your
dog to him. maybe he asking how much did you pay for your dog?

people ask how much did you pay for your dog and where did you
get him.

he asked "how much the dog"? you translated that to
he wants to buy your dog. "you can PM me", i've
had people PM me about my dog, how much was he and
where did i get him.

now on the other hand maybe he was asking so he can stay away
from your breeder, :).

I never told anybody, but very early in my starting here on the board, I got this rather creepy PM from a person that seemed to have English as a second language ask me, "how much the dog?" I was pretty sure what he meant, but i played along and replied, "how much what??" He then wrote, "you can PM me." I didn't reply. Next day I got, "here's my phone #, we can discuss it." Creeped me out. Here I was so proud of my new puppy Max, posting pics and bragging about how smart he was and that rude [email protected]%& actually thought I would sell him!! Strange?? Has anybody else experienced that here? In retrospect, I should have saved his info and called him out.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

get him.

he asked "how much the dog"? you translated that to
he wants to buy your dog. "you can PM me", i've
had people PM me about my dog, how much was he and
where did i get him.

now on the other hand maybe he was asking so he can stay away
from your breeder, :).
Ehhhh... if you had seen the actual messages, you might think differently. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt too, but it was pretty clear. Why PMs and phone calls? Not to mention that it;s fairly easy to clearly ask how much do GSD's cost or what did you pay. I can't remember every detail of what was written, but it was creepy. As for my breeder... only my hair dresser knows for sure. :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

get him.
Im pretty sure that if someone says all of that, and then asks for a phone number to discuss it, they mean that they want to buy the dog. Which I think is creepy and invasive. Who do they think they are? And why YOUR dog? I wouldn't like that one bit.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im pretty sure that if someone says all of that, and then asks for a phone number to discuss it, they mean that they want to buy the dog. Which I think is creepy and invasive. Who do they think they are? And why YOUR dog? I wouldn't like that one bit.
That's what I thought! Why max?? Because he's simply the best! ;)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That's what I thought! Why max?? Because he's simply the best! ;)
hehehe :D he sure is a cutie pie! If someone said that to me I would feel like they had been watching me/my dog or something. I have had too many encounters with undoubtedly "creepy" people and I totally see why you would feel uneasy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehehe :D he sure is a cutie pie! If someone said that to me I would feel like they had been watching me/my dog or something. I have had too many encounters with undoubtedly "creepy" people and I totally see why you would feel uneasy.
Thanks, it was a while ago, but obviously I didn't forget it. I actually kept the messages for a while and just recently erased them, but it still haunts me a little. Sort of like being stauked or something. Yuk.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, I have just randomly searched "GSD for sale" and had photo threads here come up, because of the ads here. Maybe since he didn't seem to speak english well, he saw his pics and thought he was for sale? Eh.. I've had people ask to buy J as a guard dog before. Just say Heck no and move on, people ask that a lot, it's just because your dog is awesome.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It could be innocent BUT there are also a lot of scammers out there who contact breeders randomly with a similar scenario that Relayer related here. As far as I'm concerned, they should go in the same bucket you put the Nigerian "you just won $100,000,000,000 ... send me $1,000 to process your winnings" scams.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It could be innocent BUT there are also a lot of scammers out there who contact breeders randomly with a similar scenario that Relayer related here. As far as I'm concerned, they should go in the same bucket you put the Nigerian "you just won $100,000,000,000 ... send me $1,000 to process your winnings" scams.
LOL... That is exactly what I was thinking when I was contacted. The person had zero posts, but had been a member for a fair amount of time. Almost seemed like he was lurking/looking for a dog, but was inappropriate in his method of finding one. I imagined the Nigerian thing and also some sort of GSD slave trade ring... LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts