German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while Wolfie was outside, I decided to start some laundry and make his food before going out to let him in. He would not touch his food no matter what I did. I was beginning to think that he was sick, when it dawned on me. When I make his food, he is usually nearby, watching every move, and then he gets to lick the spoon that I mix it with. I got the spoon, mixed it around in his food, and he ran over, licked the spoon and ate the food! Is this because it's his routine, and he sticks to it, or is he like a spoiled child that won't eat until he gets his way? LOL!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Either way I think it is good to change the routine. Dogs are creatures of habit and they also own a watch if you ask me to mix things up is a good thing to me.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either way I think it is good to change the routine. Dogs are creatures of habit and they also own a watch if you ask me to mix things up is a good thing to me.
I agree that they are hiding a watch somewhere. It's amazing how they know exactly what time it is.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I believe in changing things up so our dogs understand I set all rules and if someone else for what ever reason needs to feed your dog there won't be any issues.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Today, while Wolfie was outside, I decided to start some laundry and make his food before going out to let him in. He would not touch his food no matter what I did. I was beginning to think that he was sick, when it dawned on me. When I make his food, he is usually nearby, watching every move, and then he gets to lick the spoon that I mix it with. I got the spoon, mixed it around in his food, and he ran over, licked the spoon and ate the food! Is this because it's his routine, and he sticks to it, or is he like a spoiled child that won't eat until he gets his way? LOL!
Nah, he's just spoiled. :D

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That is too funny!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like he has mom trained pretty good! :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm sure Wolfie tells all the other dogs you are trainable and eager to please! ;)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'm sure Wolfie tells all the other dogs you are trainable and eager to please! ;)

And how he has to save his silly humans at least once a week from their reckless behavior because they won't stay out of trouble!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
And how he has to save his silly humans at least once a week from their reckless behavior because they won't stay out of trouble!
Yes, that too! How could I have forgotten?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I believe in changing things up so our dogs understand I set all rules and if someone else for what ever reason needs to feed your dog there won't be any issues.
brilliant...I never thought of it that way...

I'm seriously having a light bulb moment...I thought setting a routine meant we make the rules...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA! I'm sure he does talk about his crazy humans a lot.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
On this topic, my husband usually takes Shasta outside to play every morning. Some mornings, when it's raining heavily, our yard is too sodden for play so he'll play with her inside. But every morning, some kind of play time with Daddy.

This morning, Daddy had to leave for work early so he could run errands on his way. Shasta heard him getting ready to leave. She always starts to pant and whine in excitement when she hears this, but then Daddy left without playing...She is freaking out. It's been over an hour and she's still whining, whining, whining. I'm trying to work...she's making me crazy.

Maybe some dogs can take occasional changes in the routine in stride, but Shasta doesn't appear to be one of them. Now to figure out how to mix up her schedule, because my husband enjoys that morning play time as much as Shasta does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts