German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we were in a old abandoned nursing home for search training. Totally dark, and several levels and a lots of rooms to search thru. One person was hidden in a closet, with the door closed. Normally this isn’t a problem for him, he just sit outside the closed door and bark, until I open it. But this room had a ventilation system, so all the scents from the person was apparently at the opposite wall. Ivo (my dog) used a lot of time trying to solve it, but had big problems to sorted it out. He was 100% sure that the person was inside this room, but the scents tricked him away from the closet.
After a while he took a decision, he retrieved a smokedetector he found on a table, put it in front of his paws in the middle of the room, and started to bark. When I entered the room he stop barking and jumped up and down, and tried to tell me he had found someone in this room, «but I’m not quite sure were he is»

I walked in front of the closets, and showed him the direction. Waited for him to take a good sniff at every door, to make his decide were the person was and then he start to bark outside the right one. Of course with a big reward!
I think he had a clever and creative decision, but how should I react to that?

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
I'm no expert.... but really all he could do was follow his nose and then it's up to the handler to "read the dog" and interpret what he's telling you.Outstanding!In my opinion you did just right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no expert.... but really all he could do was follow his nose and then it's up to the handler to "read the dog" and interpret what he's telling you.Outstanding!In my opinion you did just right.
Thank you. Hopefully you have right. It was easy to read the dog, no problem to «guess» there was someone hiding in the room.
Usually he never barks without having located one hundred percent, and when he failed to do so at this search I became a little confused.
Normally I don’t want him to bark if he just picks up a scents, without locate it properly, = no reward is coming. In this case I felt he tried so hard to do the right thing, so I helped him to find a solution, so he could get his reward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts