German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very large number of historical photographs that are currently stored in a tall file cabinet inside photo storage folders. It's one photo per folder, with a number at the top of the folder.

What I am trying to do is create a database with scans of these images where I would be able to add key words regarding the image contents (like "aircraft", "motorcycle", etc.), and be able to search the database for those keywords, giving me previews of all the images that have the key word plus the listing of the folder numbers to physically pull them from the file cabinet.

Is there a SIMPLE way of doing this? Access and Excel have been suggested to me for this purpose, but I do not have Access and I have very limited knowledge about Excel. Are there any programs online that might work for something like this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you have a mac I know how to do what you want. If you have a pc, I don't, but there may be a program out there. I will google.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hmmm...the only thing I can think of is a Mysql Database, but that might be bit much, so I did a google search, here is what I came up with:

This link below had a list of image database programs, not sure what was free and what wasn't, you will have to look through it, you might find something in there though:
http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/Images_and_Graphs/Image_Indexing/

I think this was a free thing, thought it would be worth a peek:
http://gallery.menalto.com/

Not sure about this one, but it looked interesting:
http://www.downloadatoz.com/toplight/kalimages%20photo%20database%20and%20iptc%20editor.html

This one costs money, but it was a low amount and the program seemed like it might be what your looking for:
http://mylife-photo-album---editor-suite-5.smartcode.com/info.html

Hope some of these links are helpful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about OpenOffice?

OpenOffice.org

"OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose."

I've never used it, but have heard good things. I read that the database has templates and one is for a dvd collection so you could probably adapt that for your purposes.

My daughter entered into an Excel spreadsheet her father's cd collection with columns for artist, title, etc. You could do that and be able to search, but not as good as a database.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I will check out some of the links, but I suppose I should have been more specific regarding what the program needs to do and what parameters it needs to work with.

First, it must be FREE because the museum I am doing this for will not go out and purchase software to set up this catalog.

But if it is something that can be transferred to a website in the future to make it accessible to the public, that would be a plus. Maybe there is an online program or website that could do this?

Second, it cannot have a very steep learning curve (like MySQL databases) because someone may want or need to continue on the database after I've set it up originally.

I did look at Open Office, but am not familiar with it at all. Maybe it would be an option since it is free. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

·
Registered
14,028 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Hmmm, honestly I'd be tempted just to open a Flickr account for archiving the photos. You can make sets, collections, etc., add titles and descriptions, and use tags for keywords for searching later on. You can search within your own account based on titles and/or descriptions and/or keywords. If you don't want everyone seeing or using your photos you can set photos as private so only those you grant access to can see them, or you can share them but only the smaller versions with no way to simply right-click-save (can be hacked around but most people don't bother). As a double bonus, you basically have an off-site backup of all the photos available via Internet from any computer you log into. I really don't think Excel would be appropriate, it's pretty two-dimensional and is more for graphing and math functions than records. I've used Access in the past, but never for embedding other files like photos. It takes some learning to be good with Access.

So far, Flickr is about the simplest think I can think of and then multiple people can do it without having to install a program and copy over the files.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts