German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So its been a week and a half since Biscuit (our first GSD) puppy has entered our life. She is just over 9 weeks. She has learned a lot, bite inhibition has come on a lot she now never hurts us and I will start promoting licking rather than biting, house training has been great, her first few commands are getting pretty good that we can start introducing distractions for them.

She has been wonderful in many respects, and is a pretty high drive pup.

Our only problem we don't know how to deal with is she occasionally goes into a trance-like state of trouser attacking. It happens typically once an evening, often (not always) co-inciding with a overstimulated/tired pup. At this point we try and crate her to force a nap. However stopping the crazy biting is impossible. Stuffing a toy in her mouth doesn't work, she only wants trouser legs. Pushing/holding her away doesn't work and only leads to her thinking its more of a game. We are trying to walk away and leave her alone to calm down, but even getting away from her is difficult. We have been very careful to never use any corrections yet, but in these cases yelping, NO! and 'leave it' have no effect. I've also tried using her 'Down' command (its her best one, and usually works a lot for her jumping at us) but she doesn't respond.

Any recommendations on how to deal with this? Perhaps it just gets better with age (she's such a baby still!)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your pup is still very young and adjusting being in a new home and away from her mama. She will outgrow this behavior but I would still try using distractions. Maybe give her a chew toy or throw a ball for her to chase? And give her treats when she listens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your pup is still very young and adjusting being in a new home and away from her mama. She will outgrow this behavior but I would still try using distractions. Maybe give her a chew toy or throw a ball for her to chase? And give her treats when she listens.
Thank you BluNyxMom. It has been an intense couple of weeks, its too easy to focus on the behaviours that I don't want than look at all she has accomplished in such a short time. The toy distractions just don't work when she wants to go for legs. I now always keep a toy (used toilet roll cardboard lol) in my pocket for moments when I need to re-direct. I think I just need some re-assurance as to continue trying to re-direct or time-out/end play rather than trying to correct her (I don't even know how to correct a 9 week pup!). I know she is just trying to engage in play with me. Its another 2 weeks till she will be vaccinated to go outside and I think that will help enormously. I never envisioned having my first GSD pup with no training facilities open (waiting 6 months for this litter). Hopefully things will re-open while she is still a young pup. Anyway she is amazing!

·
Registered
533 Posts
We made tug toys out of old jeans by cutting off the legs and tying a knot or two in the fabric. Maybe you could distract your pup with that, or perhaps use an old pair of your trousers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts