German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 y/o GS Ellie has always been a shedder (aren't they all?) but this summer she has been shedding chunks of fur. They're like big tufts of it. You can actually pull chunks of hair out of her. You can't see any skin or anything, but there is TONS of fur everywhere. I could brush her for hours and hair will still come off. Does this sound normal? She's acting fine otherwise. Thanks for your help - again!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds normal to me. We had a when I was a kid that was an outside dog, she would blow coat twice a year .. makes a huge mess.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When my girls shed and blow their coats (normally twice a year) I am pulling chunks out for a few weeks
its a very messy process .... thank goodness for my dyson though

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I just had Arwen in for abnormal shedding and not cleaning herself well. Anyway her bloodwork came back with low thyroid function. She is eight years old. This is fixed by giving her thyroxine twice a day. Not terribly expensive. This is common in older dogs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will have to take her in to be tested. She cleans herself plenty. The only abnormal thing to me is the big chunks of fur. She's had little chunks here and there before, but this seems a little excessive.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my boy is 2 years old and he sheds like crazy.
i can pull out tufts of fur. when we're out walking you can see
the hair falling off of him. i use a pin brush and an under coat
rake. you know the plastic bag you get from the Supermarket
when you're checking out. i can fill one with each brushing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My GS just started shedding, and I wondered what would be the best brushes to get for her...any ideas anyone? She's an absolute terror to brush, so it usually takes two people to do it.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
An undercoat rake and pin brush are nice for the stock coated dogs. Just start out while your dog is in a sleepy relaxed state. Most dogs enjoy it when it isn't forced on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts