German Shepherds Forum banner

Crazy Pit Bull Breeders...

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  DogBuddy 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, a neighbor of mine who breeds pit bulls told me that I shouldn't let people pet my dog. According to him, it will make Izzie too friendly, leading her to "not earn her keep." In order to avoid an argument, I just agreed with him and went on with my walk, letting everyone (except very young children) pet her. Well, yesterday he saw me letting people pet her and began another rant, which he continued on this morning's walk, saying someone is going to break into my house and possibly take her.

I told him that even if someone does try to break into my house, barking at the person is enough for me...my Louisville Slugger will take care of the rest.

The worst thing about all of this is that this guy breeds pit bulls (just had another litter). So, everyone he sells a dog to is going to hear this garbage...and probably listen to him...not socializing their dog at all.

#3 ·
Originally Posted By: Sweet MammyPretty sad that someone so uneducated is breeding a breed that gets a bad rap.... because of PEOPLE like him!!!!

for real..that guy sucks!

#5 ·
Originally Posted By: Sweet MammyPretty sad that someone so uneducated is breeding a breed that gets a bad rap.... because of PEOPLE like him!!!!

Yep. Sad that my back yard neighbor might be one of them. Keeps his girl (10 months) tied to the porch on a 10 foot chain. Then he beats her if she sits in her own poop. I called animal control when it was 95 and humid, poor thing sitting there baking in the sun with no shelter or water.

#9 ·
Another angle to this, is how velcro-friendly these dogs are. Pit Bulls shadow their owners, haunt them into the bathroom, lean against them, snuggle-- from the moment their person comes home, to bedtime, they are BUDS. I would put money on this man telling new owners not to pet or fawn over their puppies. So sad, for such an affectionate breed.

#10 ·
Patti, it is sad isn't it? Everytime I heard the dog in the back yard barking becuase she's lonely and sad, I think 'That's the way to make a really mean pit'. Course my neighbor is a jerk and probably wants her that way, mean scary dog guarding the door. Protection from what here in the garden district - sparrows with switchblades or marauding hydrangeas?

#11 ·
Originally Posted By: PryghtI told him that even if someone does try to break into my house, barking at the person is enough for me...my Louisville Slugger will take care of the rest.
I feel the same way. Even as small as Heidi is at 19 months old, her bark and approach is enough to stop or startle anyone; giving me enough time to arm myself.

So sad for the Pitties...too many ignorant people in this world.

Ban ignorant people! We need a new t-shirt!

#12 ·
Maybe he read this:
http://leerburg.com/pdf/whocanpetmypuppy.pdf

Though he does give some examples for exceptions-fear stages, etc. And he does not have pet type dogs so for his purposes, maybe that is what he needs to do.

I am thinking that for the majority of pet owners, not so much.

#13 ·
Jean, I always wondered about that article.. what happens when (not if, but when) one of the many dogs bred at that kennel, going into new homes that follow this program with ONE main person ONLY interacting with the dog.. growing up with that ONE person interacting with them...... must be re-homed due to whatever reason?

#14 ·
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina

Yep. Sad that my back yard neighbor might be one of them. Keeps his girl (10 months) tied to the porch on a 10 foot chain. Then he beats her if she sits in her own poop. I called animal control when it was 95 and humid, poor thing sitting there baking in the sun with no shelter or water.
ARE you kidding me???

can we tie him up and see if he likes it

#15 ·
That is one of the things I choose to ignore on Leerburg, because I do not agree with it. I am the center of my dogs universe because I care for them, lead them and spend the time training and socializing them. Other people who I deem as friendly petting them or spending time with other dogs that are stable and compatible does not change that, and since I want not just work in a protection sport but also live with my dogs in the real world where they will encounter guests in my home and other people and dogs when I take them places I need them to be social. Provided you have a dog with all of the genetic tools nothing is lost from a work standpoint. Saying that a dog will not respond to a threat to home and family because he is socialized is moronic. In fact, I could argue the complete opposite since the dog will be well versed in his handlers body language and stress levels around strangers that are not a threat, and will immediately be able to pick up any fear or uncertainty about a stranger and be on alert. My Diesel is very social, gets petted by as many people as I can find at the car wash, beach, parties, etc. and is very serious in his protection work to the point that some feel he is too serious. It takes a lot to put him into defense as he is very confident, but when he does he brings it and nice people petting him will not ever remove that.

#16 ·
Originally Posted By: littledmc
ARE you kidding me???

can we tie him up and see if he likes it
No, I'm not kidding. She's the sweetest dog too. Breaks loose all the time and used to come sit at the fence and watch Morgan playing with my kids. She'd whine and look sad.

I had to install fenceweave becuase their yard looks like Fred Sanford lives there. It's nasty, they're nasty, there was fight back there a few weeks ago - broken windows, guys throwing eachother against cars and the fence was shaking, screaming something about his sister.

It's a rental and I know they'll be moving along soon becuase the place stinks like weed at 11 in the morning. If my kids have to smell that, I call the cops. Usually makes it better for a few weeks and they bring the dog in so I don't have to get upset hearing her. Poor thing. Her name is Tequila...

#17 ·
I'll donate the chains if you tie him to the porch! and I'll send you some bolt cutters to free the dog as well.

#18 ·
Originally Posted By: BrightelfAnother angle to this, is how velcro-friendly these dogs are. Pit Bulls shadow their owners, haunt them into the bathroom, lean against them, snuggle-- from the moment their person comes home, to bedtime, they are BUDS. I would put money on this man telling new owners not to pet or fawn over their puppies. So sad, for such an affectionate breed.
Good point....

That guy is a fool, Pit Bulls are great dogs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.