German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. I am having issues with my puppy Duece going balistic with his treats. The other day I gave him a pig ear and while he was chewing on it I reached down to pet him and he growled at me and snatched the treat away. I imediatly told him no not nice and took it away ( which he had a death grip on it ). I gave it back a couple minutes later and tried to pet him and he did it again so I repeated what I did before. The third try he did not growl at me but he did snatch it away, got the whole thing in his mouth and tried like crazy to eat it before I could pry his jaws apart and get it. I didnt give it back to him after that cause I didnt want him to choke on it rather than letting me have it. Later in the day I gave him a different kind of treat that crumbles when he bites it so I could try again and he did the same thing, he growled, snatched, and got the whole thing in his mouth and furiously started chewing it so I couldnt have it back. First off I was told on a different post that puppies were not aggressive so why is he growling and doing this all of a sudden? We have always petted him, put our hands in food while eating and things like that since we got him and he has never done this. And he never did it with treats before I gave him the pig ear so why now? How do I get him to understand that that is my treat and if I want it back he needs to give it and that he can never act that way with me? I am afraid to give him any more treats cause I think he is going to choke on them. HELP! I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, these are great tips. He already drops his toys when I tell him to and rocks ( cause he is constantly picking them up ) so I will move on with trading one treat for another but what kind of treats are there besides rawhide, which we dont give him, and pig ears that he wont consume in 5 seconds so that I can trade it for another? Because now he is at the point no matter what treat it is he eats it as if its his last meal. BTW he is almost 15 weeks old.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.