German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other itching posts, but they were not exactly what I have going on.

We have had our almost 8 week old GSD for a week now. She was very small when we got her. She only weighs 4.6 pounds.

We did not get her from a respectable breeder, but we hope to give her better treatment than she was getting.

She is the runt of the litter and I quickly realized she has some issues. She has intermittent diarrhea caused by parasites. We have had that diagnosed by our vet and are treating it. It is almost cleared up.

She also would try to eat her faces, which we were training her to stop doing.

I noticed that she began to itch herself and my wife began to be worried that she had fleas. I did not see any. She was not itching excessively at this point and I was not too worried.

We took her to get her first round of vaccines, where we live parvo is very prevalent.

A few days after getting her shots we had to give her a bath. She had accidentally sat in her urine a few times when we were house training her and stepped in her feces.

I did not think anything of giving her a bath and used a gentle puppy shampoo my wife had picked up.

We also washed her bedding.

That night I began to notice she was very itchy and would shake her head constantly. She was so itchy she would act like her body was covered with ants. These bouts would come and go. But when it is bad she is very uncomfortable.

That night she could not get comfortable or sleep well. Before this she was doing great sleeping at night, she would go to her crate and I would babe to wake her up every few hours to take her out. I was gradually increasing the time I let her sleep to see how long she could go without needing to go out. We had gotten up to 3.5 hours and she probably could have gone longer since I was still having to wake her.

But now that she was itching she could not even go 2 hours and would wake me up with her whining.

I took her to the vet and explained it could be a reaction to the shampoo. They said she was too young probably for a food allergy and that maybe it was the shampoo.

They checked her ears and they looked good. They said she could have mange but there is not hair loss or lesions. Really the only symptom is itching uncontrollably.

She is still eating and drinking and does not appear to be overly lethargic.

The vet prescribed steroid drops and said to rebath her with baby shampoo.

The vet did not want to treat for mange quite yet since she was so small and young. The vet did say if the steroid did not help maybe she would use one of the topical flea and tick medicine that also treats mange.

I took her home and during the day gave her two dosages of the steroids but it did not seem to help her and last night was pretty bad.

I am calling the vet to see if we can do the mange treatment.

I am kind of at a loss as to what to do.

I wonder if she does have mange since she is so small and the vaccine may have been too much for her immune system.

But not giving her those is a 2 edged sword since parvo is so prevalent here.

She is growing and has gained a pound in 3 days, so at least she is improving in that aspect.

Any help or advice that can be give. Would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry. That is not encouraging for either of us. How long exactly has your GSD been itching? Has anything helped?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am sorry. That is not encouraging for either of us. How long exactly has your GSD been itching? Has anything helped?
Well, she is on a raw diet. NW Naturals. I switched her to fish from beef, and it made her fur much softer, and a little less irritated. I have tried every different regular allergy medication, and none of them even helped a little. I tried many different shampoos. They just dry them out and make it worse.

Burts Bees Care Plus seems to help. I brush it in during our daily grooming. I would be careful with it because yours is so small. I'm not sure if it is made for puppies or not.

I am now going to switch to Primal grind. It only has beef in it. No other supplements, fruits or vegetables. I can't keep her on it, but for a few weeks, it will be interesting to see if it is something in the food, or if it is environmental.

Most vets will tell you that it had nothing to do with the VAX, but after hearing your story, and many others just like it including mine, I have a hard time believing that. After Shasta's first booster, I titered her, and she was protected. I didn't have to do the 2nd booster. I will continue titering yearly, and see where we end up. Next time, I will only do the core vaccines, individually. There is something wrong with giving 4, 5, 6 or more diseases all in one shot......:frown2:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have a chronically itchy dog. She is 8 years old. I keep thinking fleas but it's just dry skin. I have noticed that it is worse in the winter, when the air is dry and she is exposed to artificial heat.
I have found that the sunlight seems to help and I am very careful what I bath her with and how often. I know puppies get filthy sometimes but continual bathing will only make it worse. I did find an anti itch spray that I had good results with.

Also, she is just adorable! Many more pictures will be needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What anti itch spray did you use? Thanks for the responses! She is doing better today, but I dont known it it is the steroids or something my wife did.

My wife uses essential oils and put coconut oil mixed with lavender and lemon grass very diluted. She put it on her shoulders and spine.

It may have helped with the dry skin.

I also agree the winter may be factoring into this. It had been in the high 60s and then when this happened a cold front hit and it got down into the 30s.

We tried puppy pads inside our garage so she would not have to go outdoors, but she wont use them. She is too smart and we had already taught her to use the grass.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Paigika and WELCOME! :greet:

Good for your wife trying the EO's and Coconut Oil! :grin2:

Beware of GLUTEN BASED ingredients that your pup might be sensitive to. Ingredients with names that we do not recognize, could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Sodium cocoyl glutamate is a mild vegetable-based surfactant (foaming ingredient) derived from from coconut or palm kernel oil and glucose from corn.

Shampoo’s:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store, used as a rinse, can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

What kibble are you feeding?

These are several items in dog food AND treats that many dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), even some of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

There are a few natural herbs you can try for itching. Let me know if you'd like the name of products.

Moms :)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I also agree with Custom Billet that vaccinations can cause a myriad of problems for Some dog's.

There are some "detoxing" products and homeopathic's that you could try to combat the vaccination effects.

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (immune system helps fight allergens and MANY other things) it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Human Ingredient Products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sense http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

Best of luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We feed her Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice formula. That is what we were told she was on and we know to not switch immediately. But we are not sold on it and could gradually switch if needed.

Also, how often should she need to have a bowel movement? She was pretty regular, but they were small movements. Now she does not want to do it as often.

It could be the cold.

She does not like to stay out there with me. Normally, if she is going to have one it is 5 minutes after she urinates (which she does immediately upon getting to the grass).

So, I try to stay out their for 10 minutes to make sure she is done. However, lately she urinates and then bolts for the door. It is not a fun game trying to keep bringing her back out to the grass, but I dont want to let her inside and then she have an accident.

I normally fight with her for close to 10 minutes and then give up and let her come back in.

I am sure she is cold, I have to wear a coat.

Maybe now that the parasites are under control she does not need to have a movement as often.....

What do you guys think, for a pup her age how many should she have a day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also agree with Custom Billet that vaccinations can cause a myriad of problems for Some dog's.

There are some "detoxing" products and homeopathic's that you could try to combat the vaccination effects.

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (immune system helps fight allergens and MANY other things) it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Human Ingredient Products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sense http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

Best of luck
Just got my Sunday Sundae in today!!!!! I can't wait to try it with dinner tonight!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Paigika and WELCOME! :greet:

Good for your wife trying the EO's and Coconut Oil! :grin2:

Beware of GLUTEN BASED ingredients that your pup might be sensitive to. Ingredients with names that we do not recognize, could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Sodium cocoyl glutamate is a mild vegetable-based surfactant (foaming ingredient) derived from from coconut or palm kernel oil and glucose from corn.

Shampoo’s:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store, used as a rinse, can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

What kibble are you feeding?

These are several items in dog food AND treats that many dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), even some of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

There are a few natural herbs you can try for itching. Let me know if you'd like the name of products.

I was told by my vet to use oatmeal to help with itching. Makes total sense why that would be a bad idea now!

The Moosh shampoo looks really good. I will have to get some ordered in.

Thank you for this info Moms!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I read an article recently, citing the huge increase in peanut allergies today (in human children), versus what had been seen 30 or 40 years ago. The doctor being interviewed was speculating that it could very well be that this is a result of increased awareness of the potential for an allergy. This line of thinking speculates that it is very possible that because people are more aware of a "potential" problem with peanuts, they are much quicker to completely remove any and all consumption of peanuts or any food containing even trace amounts of peanuts from their children's diets. The unintended effect is that kids who are periodically exposed to small amounts of peanuts, often overcome any allergic response they may have had before, and grow up being completely fine with peanuts! While children who are completely denied peanuts and or any foods containing even trace amounts of peanuts, often show more severe allergic reactions to peanuts later on.

I bring this up for two reasons. First, from your original post OP, I couldn't help thinking that you're puppy's reaction to a shampoo was EXACTLY the same as my puppy when she was 12 wks old, and it took 2 full weeks for the itching to go away...needless to say, we never used that shampoo again! But equally important, you seem to be changing a lot of things in a very short period of time...which makes it easy to draw invalid conclusions about what helps and what doesn't. Next, I would strongly caution you about jumping on the "grain free" or "allergy" bandwagon with such a young puppy. It could be that it is an allergy of some kind, but it seems to me MUCH more likely that the shampoo you used didn't agree with your puppy and you just haven't given it enough time for the itchiness to go away!

In the pictures you posted I didn't see anything that would make me think of allergies or mange or anything else. Give your puppy at least a couple weeks to recover from exposure to the shampoo you used...would be my 2 cents...And good luck, she's adorable!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I read an article recently, citing the huge increase in peanut allergies today (in human children), versus what had been seen 30 or 40 years ago. The doctor being interviewed was speculating that it could very well be that this is a result of increased awareness of the potential for an allergy. This line of thinking speculates that it is very possible that because people are more aware of a "potential" problem with peanuts, they are much quicker to completely remove any and all consumption of peanuts or any food containing even trace amounts of peanuts from their children's diets. The unintended effect is that kids who are periodically exposed to small amounts of peanuts, often overcome any allergic response they may have had before, and grow up being completely fine with peanuts! While children who are completely denied peanuts and or any foods containing even trace amounts of peanuts, often show more severe allergic reactions to peanuts later on.

I bring this up for two reasons. First, from your original post OP, I couldn't help thinking that you're puppy's reaction to a shampoo was EXACTLY the same as my puppy when she was 12 wks old, and it took 2 full weeks for the itching to go away...needless to say, we never used that shampoo again! But equally important, you seem to be changing a lot of things in a very short period of time...which makes it easy to draw invalid conclusions about what helps and what doesn't. Next, I would strongly caution you about jumping on the "grain free" or "allergy" bandwagon with such a young puppy. It could be that it is an allergy of some kind, but it seems to me MUCH more likely that the shampoo you used didn't agree with your puppy and you just haven't given it enough time for the itchiness to go away!

In the pictures you posted I didn't see anything that would make me think of allergies or mange or anything else. Give your puppy at least a couple weeks to recover from exposure to the shampoo you used...would be my 2 cents...And good luck, she's adorable!
I feel the same way. Shadows allergies presented at about 6-8 months, and we saw hives in her ears and biting at her feet. It was CLEAR there was an issue. With the questions surrounding grain free I would be very hesitant. And for all the fuss about oatmeal, it has a long history of working. I use the spray to alleviate the worst of the itching, it is much less invasive then steroids.
I believe that keeping our darlings inside causes dry skin, just like us, and like us they get itchy. There are legitimate issues in SOME dogs, but I am loathe to believe they are as common as some would have us believe.
I can say that flaxseed oil caused skin issues in 3 of my last 5 dogs, and it's a fairly new addition to dog food. I avoid it.
I personally am allergic to lanolin and shea. Find skin care or hygiene products with neither, I dare you. But when I mention it people immediately claim they also have issues and yet those two things inundate the market so it cannot be that common a problem.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Such a cute puppy. Figuring out what is going on is a process with itchy skin. If the issues are worsening and seeing a gradual increase -you notice weight change and thinning of fur on ears and tail which does take awhile to show is a sign of mange. The itching slowly becomes different and not the same as a case of dry skin. I’m not sure how they treat such young pups for that. 4lbs is so small for a 8 week old pup. Worms and internal parasites can take a lot of nutrients away from the pup could be where dry skin is coming from. Working on getting the pup back to health suggested is a good plan as mentioned to build up immune system. Any grooming shampoo you use it’s important to use a conditioner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. The itching has gone away, but I am not sure if it is just due to the steroids and once they wear off it will return.

She is gaining weight and now she weighs 5.5 pounds. She gained 2 pounds last week. When we took her to the vet on Monday for her shots she weighed 3.5.

She still has a pot belly, which I will be excited, when it goes away. At first I thought that her big belly was from parasites but now maybe it is just from being an 8 week old puppy.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts