German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Griff grew 10 pounds from month 3 - to month 4 (how is this even possible?). He grew 3 pounds from month 4 - month 5. No wonder he developed Pano (diagnosed today) last week. I am relieved it is Pano and not OCD or HOD. Joints are fine and so is his structure. He currently weighs 43 pounds.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
I find 10#s a month the norm from about 2-7 months before it starts to slow down.

3#s from 4-5 is way too little and that would have concerned me... a lot. Perhaps you were keeping him too lean and he didn't have the necessary nutrition to grow properly during that time span.

Reactions: GandalfTheShepherd

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Since my pup was 3 months he's been gaining 3-6lb EVERY MONTH with a growth spurt of 13lb between 6-7 months. Thankfully he's fine. One of the best things you can do for yours I think is to limit his activities, and making sure the vet is on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Genali is growing like that. Averaging about 2 lbs a week. So far so no pano, but I am watching. Have spoken with the vet and have a plan, just in case.

Freaky when you come home in the evening and the dog is bigger.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find 10#s a month the norm from about 2-7 months before it starts to slow down.

3#s from 4-5 is way too little and that would have concerned me... a lot. Perhaps you were keeping him too lean and he didn't have the necessary nutrition to grow properly during that time span.
They tend to grow in spurts. I am keeping him lean. The vet and breeder are happy with the way he looks and so am I. He is healthy besides his Pano limp.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pano can also be genetic. My dog was lean when he got it. He didn’t fill out until the pano was gone. Now he is big, solid and muscular.
The science on Pano is not conclusive, either being genetic or just because of the strong growth in general.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pano can also be genetic. My dog was lean when he got it. He didn’t fill out until the pano was gone. Now he is big, solid and muscular.
The science on Pano is not conclusive, either being it genetic or just because of the strong growth in general. From what I know from breeders it is not a reason not to breed with dogs who had it. But I guess opinions will vary on this.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If breeders weeded out all stock for every possibility they would have few breedable dogs. Pano is annoying but as a result of it, I ended up working with a private trainer and doing things I never would have if we had stuck to basic obedience.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sheba is 9-1/2 months old, and at the moment is experiencing her 5th bout of Panosteitis. She has been a fast grower right from the get-go, and every time that she has a major growth spurt Pano sets in. She tends to lose her appetite somewhat, but otherwise manages ok, and has never required pain meds. Her biggest monthly gain has been 14-1/2 lbs. In her 8th month she gained 13-1/2 lbs. Sheba is currently a lean 85 pounds, is very tall, (standing 27-1/4" at the withers) and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Sheba at 6 months (52 lbs)

Sheba at 8 months (75 lbs)

Sheba at 9 months (82 lbs)

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
None of my dogs ever grew in spurts. It was always a steady 2-2.5# a week at that age.

Reactions: GandalfTheShepherd

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Valor had big spurts, to the point where people who had not seen him in two weeks would go "whoah!" He got pano each time, and has been consistently lean. If anything I was concerned too lean. He will turn 1 in 2 weeks and I think he is past it!

Their growth periods are fantastically good memories. I always take lots of pictures, you blink and they are grown <3

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the one-year mark and no Pano. Can't wait for that one. Pano really takes the joy out of puppy hood, for him and me both.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
The last one I had with pano had his first episode after he turned a year and did not go away until he was two years old.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
I think it can go up to five years.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was talking to our trainer who also breeds working shepherds and she was telling me that since Trickster has cycled thru all his legs once, and just started a second cycle thru (at 14 mos.) that he is not likely to have a third cycle. Is there truth to this? Or is there really just no rhyme or reason? So far, it does not throw him off his food or slow him down one bit. Very stoic. The first cycle at like 7 months he was a chunker and this time he is very lean.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Mine started at 4 months and it cycled until 18 months then stopped. It hit several times on each leg. It can land in any longbone and the smaller ones below the joint. Lean had nothing to do with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts