German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I responded to another thread about the value of walking quickly with Ole.

This lead to a realization that one of my primary approaches to learning worked exactly the opposite with my pup. When learning a new activity, I usually follow a process that we practiced back in my Army days in 3/75 Ranger Regiment. Crawl-Walk-Run. When learning something new, we practiced over and over at a slow pace. Gradually we sped things up until we could do the activity at full speed while maintaining control.

Counterintuitive to me. Many things like learning loose leash walking and desensitization work best if practiced at a brisk pace. My pup likes movement. He is most at ease when moving quickly. Then once we have built a strong foundation by moving rapidly, we gradually slow things down so pup has more time to think. While slowing down, we try to make our actions more precise and controlled.

IE. Sitting still in a room full of people moving randomly would drive Ole crazy. When walking rapidly around the perimeter, he is cool as a cucumber.

Has anyone else found this to be the case for them, or is this just a quirk of Ole and me?

·
Super Moderator
6,102 Posts
My experiences mirror yours regarding things that make my dogs anxious or reactive.Just hustle on through so they don't dwell on it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think that's common with dogs. Dogs seem to think more clearly when they're on the move and focusing on something (walking quickly, following you).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I am going to swing by Petco tonight. They have a line of 10 displays set up in the main aisle that look a lot like oversized weave poles. We will try weaving through the displays on our newly learned loose leash walk at different paces and see what happens. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts