German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 13 week pup refuses to use her crate. Everytime we (me or the misses) picks her up or walks her over to the crate either for a nap or bed or because we have to go to work she snarls barks and snaps at us. And growls the whole way to her crate. I really don't want me or my wife to get hurt. What do we need to do to get her to stop? We praise her for going in the crate already and don't use it for any sort of punishment

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If she's not already being fed in the crate, start feeding her in the crate. This helps start to form a positive association with the crate. Look up Crate Games. Toss a high value treat into the crate when she's looking. When she goes in after it, toss in another treat for her. She'll start to associate the crate with good things. It will take time. Safe toys in the crate. If she gets chew bones or bully sticks, she only gets them in the crate (while supervised). She'll learn the crate brings good things but only if she goes in and is nice about it. Time and patience.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Make it fun. Make it a place of treats and toys and play. Sit next to it when she is just in the room with you so she has to come near it to play with you. Right now she thinks of it as the BAD place where she is left alone. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also she isn't afraid to go near it. She will go in and grab some of her toys and brings them out. She's only acting like this when we put her in it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem with my 13 week old pup and last week i started taking a little treat showing him i have it comforted him to walk in and when he goes in i give him the treat shut the door and praise him a lot!! Now he goes in his crate and waits for the door to be shut. :) hope this helps!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with a high value treat ONLY given in the crate

Rather then pick up the puppy and carrying to the crate have them follow you. Either lure with a treat or toy, go up to the crate and play for a few seconds more in front of the crate. Then take two of the high value treat, throw one into the crate and allow the puppy to go in to get it (don't force them in), once the puppy is in the crate then give the second one praise and shut the door. The whole point is to make the puppy do the work but not force them

Soon the puppy should anticipate the treat coming and you can use a command like "bed" and they'll run right into the crate and wait for the treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts