German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but could I see examples of some of your crating schedules for your pups, specifically 8 weeks - 2 months old and newly arrived in your home. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eat breakfast, crate time to make sure there is no accident, then take pup out for bathroom time and exercise, etc.

I want to get him on a schedule in the beginning so then I can be more liberal with his free time in the house and avoid bathroom slip ups. I realize we may have a few "oops's" in the beginning, but the less the better. I aslwo want my pup to realize his crate is a positive and safe space...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I see where your coming from but I wouldn't suggest putting him in his crate right after breakfast. He eats breakfast and outside he goes until he does his business, most puppies will potty right after they eat. That's just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I never crate him unless it's when I'm sleeping, not home, or can't give him my 100% attention while hes a puppy.

You don't need to crate him randomly to make him love the crate. Most pups will do it on their own as long as you make it a positive experience from the first day they come home. Treat everytime he goes in there when you ask him or if he does it on his own.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I also never had a crating schedule with Molly. I just watched her like a hawk and literally never let her out of my sight when she was exploring. I agree with the other poster that when they are really young take them immediately outside after eating, napping or play time. That is usually when they go potty. Molly was only crated when we were not home, at bed time until about 7 months old and whenever we could not supervise her 100%.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you, I'm still getting my mind around the concept of crate training since this will be my first time doing it. I was under the assumption that the first week that the puppy is home it was critical that I feed him in the crate, wait a certain amount of time, let him go out to use the yard, bring him back in, let him play until sleepiness takes over, put him in his crate for sleep, if he cries try to ignore him until he goes to sleep (this will be the greatest challenge for me
) then when he wakes start the cycle over again. From the posted replies I'm gathering that you all tooka far more liberal approach?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
A lot of people do feed in the crate, but that is something I never got into with Molly. It is all a matter of preference. I must say that crating at night time was a bit rough for a couple of weeks. She would scream and cry and it would bring tears to my eyes, but I never gave into her crys and she eventually got used to her crate at night. I also made the mistake of not having her crate near us when we went to bed. She was down in the dining room while our room was upstairs. I think for any future pups I get I will make sure their crate is closer to us during bed time in hopes that it helps with the crying and whinig.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Crate training has its place but the only time my pup is in it is when I need some down time like the computer. lol. Seriously, only when I don't have anybody able to watch her so she doesn't chew something. She is in the crate when nobody is home or at bedtime as well.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
This is what I do with my pups. I crate train my litters. The pups sleep in their crates at night. In the morning they get let out, we go outside, go potty and play a little. they then go back into their crates and are fed. I leave them in there for about 1 hour and then they are take out again to go potty. we would play some more and then they went into the puppy area. I bring them in at different times during the day to get used to "chilling" while other stuff is going on. The go back out and each time I take them out I make sure we "go potty" before playing. hey stay out til dinner and then they are in their crates for an hour or two and then go out for a while before bedtime. Last potty break is around 11:00 pm and the pups sleep through the night- getting up usually by 6 or 6:30.
I think it is important for the pup to spend about 1 hour in the crate by itself while you are in the house. It gives the puppy the ability to stay by himself and be comfrotable being away from you. I have found this lessens the seperation anxiety that some dogs develop. Most dogs really like a routine, so it is a good idea to establish one right from the start. People make a mistake in spending every minute with the pup the first few days and then they go back to work and the pup is suddenly alone and doesn't like it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally Posted By: DHauCrate training has its place but the only time my pup is in it is when I need some down time like the computer. lol. Seriously, only when I don't have anybody able to watch her so she doesn't chew something. She is in the crate when nobody is home or at bedtime as well.
Thats what I'm doing. Or if I want to watch a movie, the pup cant settle and chill that long so I put him in his pen (he didnt like the crate but feels comfy and quiet in his playpen, thats where he eats and sleeps too.)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Becareful they can get their feet caught in the x-pens. I had a pup "hang" herself by pushing her back leg through and then panicing. I also don't use the wire crates til their paws are bigger. I had a pup stick a paw through more than once.

·
Super Moderator
32,125 Posts
Bluewolf, do what makes sense to you. I never fed mine in the crate either, but they do still sleep in their crates in the bedroom with us at night. It's not really necessary since they're not only well past the housebreaking phase they were never bad chewers either. But they like their crates and usually go in on their own while we get ready for bed, and *I* like that I can decide when to get up in the morning. If they're not already in their crates at bedtime I just say "go to bed", and they go right in.

Tom gets up about a half hour earlier than me for work in the morning, and on my off days (Fri-Sun) I like to turn off the alarm and sleep until I wake up on my own, which can be anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00. He leaves the dogs with me and they sleep or hang out calmly until I get up and let them out. Otherwise, they'd get up with him and bug me, or he'd have to put them outside so I could sleep in. They never fuss to get up in the morning unless I'm sick and sleeping in much later than usual and then sometimes they'll get antsy.

I took the first week off work to stay home when I brought each of them home, but I made sure to do what GS Mom suggests and give them some quiet time alone in their crate while I got things done. They'd fuss, sometimes a lot, sometimes just a little, but I'd ignore them and they'd settle down for a nap. The next few weeks I took long lunches and came home mid-day so they were only crated for 3 or 4 hours at a time, morning and afternoon, and by the time I was on my regular schedule they went into the garage pen during the day and could use the dog door to go outside for potties. I'm not a huge fan of crating all day, although many people do and their dogs are just fine. But because we still crate at night I like to give them more space during the day. I've always fed them their meals in the pen. When I was home with them I really only crated them when they were obviously sleepy and ready for a nap, or when I needed to get stuff done, like clean house or make dinner.

I kept the crate right next to the bed when they were small, and by the time they outgrew the smaller crate they were sleeping through the night, and I moved it across the room where there was room for a big crate. I had both of them drag lightweight nylon leashes around the house so I could grab it and run them outside if they needed to potty, and it was handy to keep them from chasing the cats, or wandering off. Some people actually tether the leash to them, which is a great idea. I took the leash off at bedtime and put it on top of the crate, and then clipped it on as soon as I opened the crate door to prevent them from stopping and squatting along the way as we walked (or ran!) down the hall to go outside.

I spent a lot of time interacting with D & K when they were tiny puppies with a clicker and a treat bag. Unless they were occupied by playing with a toy or chewing on a bone, if they were awake and I was home, they were learning. Nothing fancy, just simple stuff like name recognition exercises, sits, downs, watch, find it, leave it, short distance recalls, touching their nose to my palm (target training), handling desensitization, cradling them in my arms until they stopped struggling to get them used to gentle restraint, stuff like that. Lots of VERY short sessions, just a few minutes at a time, all off leash, and very positive. In addition to working on simple commands I spent quite a bit of time just "capturing" behaviors by marking and rewarding things I wanted to encourage (especially good for attention work) - basically catching them in the act, rather than asking for any particular behavior. All this early foundation stuff put them way ahead when they entered puppy classes, and could be built upon for more advanced skills later on.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, lots of great info (Cassidy's Mom, I love how you break things down into specific detail! You are a great help to the novice in all topics related to dog ownership
)

...and to top things off, my little chunk even made an appearance in my topic

KTM450SX, I'm soooo going to kidnap your furkid so I can "hug him and pet and call him George" LOL...

·
Registered
74 Posts
GS Mom, I tried him in his crate last night instead of the pen, he did fine. Didnt hear a peep out of him all night.

Lol bluewolf

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
None whatsoever other then when a repairman comes over and wants the dog crated. I am retired so when my dog was a pup I would get up a few times a night to let him out.

The crate door is never closed, he just goes in their when he feels like it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
when we first got beamer she was in the crate at night & when we left the house. other than that she really wasnt in it & went out right after eating & before bed, & in the morning when she woke up. we've had like 3 accidents in 5 1/2 months.

& now the crate is always open, she takes her snacks in there & chews on her bone in there, but sleeps next to our daughters crib at night.

we couldnt do crate all the time, she whined way too much
gl with your puppy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts