German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to go out of town for work for three days and two nights. my dog is staying with a friend, who works 8 hours a day. i don't want to leave him out at her house because he does have separation anxiety if he is not home, and he has never stayed at her house without us before. So, he is going to have to be crated for about 9 hours a day for two days straight- is this completely horrible? really, i'm looking for people to reassure me that it's not, because i feel pretty crappy about it...

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
He'll be fine! He'll be better off crated right, than running amuck? Two days of it isn't bad.

I always tell my dogs if I have a big work day and they are going to have to be in their beds-today isn't going to be a fun day, but <insert next fun day> will be. And they say, well, that's fine, can you bring us an Arby's?

So that's as far as the amount of time x number of days goes.

My only worry would be that he might have a hard time. Can he do a trial half day type thing there? Before you go. Leave him there a couple/few times for increasingly longer periods.

He has a lot of letters after his name-I didn't realize-congrats!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote: And they say, well, that's fine, can you bring us an Arby's?
i'll have to promise him some bacon cheeseburgers

Quote:My only worry would be that he might have a hard time. Can he do a trial half day type thing there? Before you go. Leave him there a couple/few times for increasingly longer periods.
that's a great idea...if only i had thought that far ahead...i am leaving next week, but i am going to ask if i can bring him over this weekend just to hang out.

Quote:He has a lot of letters after his name-I didn't realize-congrats!
Thanks! he's a good boy
i really love doing agility with him.

·
2,967 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My dogs are crated about 9 hours a day anyway because I work and they can't be out in the house together, and it never bothers them. Although on those days, they do come out a little more wild...

I would think that as long as he normally crates well it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had to learn the hard way to crate my huskies during the day...until we got a dog run. We would come home to destroyed furniture, carpets, counters, plants. So they are pretty regularly crated for 9 hours. There are water bottles on their crated (like on rodent cages only bigger) and I usually give them a raw bone to keep them happy for a while. And yes, they are really wild when they get out!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take your dog to your friends house and gradually break him
in to his new situation. i wouldn't just drop him off there to be crated 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone...good to know that dogs can be crated that long. i've been fortunate to not have to crate him since he was young, and at that point, he was only home alone for a few hours a day. his crate is still set up and he chooses to sleep in there, so he is still used to a crate.

good news though, my friend is going to pick him up from my house the first night, so that means he'll only have to be crated for one day. he does a lot better when he is picked up and not dropped off- he hates when i leave him. i made a kong full of peanut butter and cheese, and i am going to put in a t-shirt of mine and some toys that can't be destroyed. i'm crossing my fingers he's a good boy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They will be fine, don’t forget the tasty chewy stuff, he will find is an interesting experience.
Careful with the toy destruction, remember toys better to use under supervision and NO KONG while the dog is alone.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote: and NO KONG while the dog is alone.
a kong is one of the safest things a dog can have while alone. they are designed for that reason. indestructible, no pieces that can come off, and you can stuff them with all sorts of yummy and safe food like peanut butter, cheese, frozen yogurt, etc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well is your decision but I suggest to pay attention to your dog while using a kong, My Girl Ripoff a red Kong at 10 months and just in the first week, after that she is capable to ripoff the Xtreme Kong X-Large in less than 3 hours.

Your dog is a full grown, i gues lot more chew power than my girl.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no mikko isn't a chewer at all. he's had the same kong his whole life, and there isn't even a tooth mark in it. he prefers to just lick the contents of it- tastes better than rubber! thanks for your concern though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts