German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An unfortunate family situation has given us a 5 yr old dog to care for, neutered female, extremely over weight with hip problems. This dog has zero obedience training and never been in a crate, if fact I don't think she has even ever been on a leash. She is a BIG girl, well over 100 lbs currently, but suspect she will be 80 if we get her to the appropriate size. Despite all this, she is a very sweet, gentle girl, although not much energy (no surprise). Our 20 mo old female GSD is high energy, and all over her to play. This older one is already teaching her some manners, lol, but they are getting along fine. I know having 2 females isn't optimal. Our intention is not to keep her, but finding a home may prove difficult.

My problem is, where to leave her alone and sleeping quarters. She has never been crated. Is it worth while or even possible to crate train a 5 yr old? Last night, the first night here, my wife slept outside on a lounge chair, with her by her side on a mat. We haven't yet even brought her in the house, we want her groomed and a vet visit first. Our 20 mo old, sleeps on a mat in the master bedroom, I guessing its best to keep them separated at night?

any guidance?

Dale

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
An unfortunate family situation has given us a 5 yr old dog to care for, neutered female, extremely over weight with hip problems. This dog has zero obedience training and never been in a crate, if fact I don't think she has even ever been on a leash. She is a BIG girl, well over 100 lbs currently, but suspect she will be 80 if we get her to the appropriate size. Despite all this, she is a very sweet, gentle girl, although not much energy (no surprise). Our 20 mo old female GSD is high energy, and all over her to play. This older one is already teaching her some manners, lol, but they are getting along fine. I know having 2 females isn't optimal. Our intention is not to keep her, but finding a home may prove difficult.

My problem is, where to leave her alone and sleeping quarters. She has never been crated. Is it worth while or even possible to crate train a 5 yr old? Last night, the first night here, my wife slept outside on a lounge chair, with her by her side on a mat. We haven't yet even brought her in the house, we want her groomed and a vet visit first. Our 20 mo old, sleeps on a mat in the master bedroom, I guessing its best to keep them separated at night?

any guidance?

Dale
I have crate trained lots of adults, it's absolutely doable. You may find she quite likes it, my old girl liked to kick the other dogs out of their crates and take naps. Start by just asking her to go in for treats, if she's over weight she probably likes food which will make things easier. Play it by ear, she may be fine and you have no issues or she may protest and you need to take a few days.
I would absolutely keep them separated for now at least until you get to know her better. And thanks for taking her in.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I agree with Sabis Mom. It's what I would do.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Hi Dale,

Whoever said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, likely never owned or trained a dog! IME they may not be the sponges that puppies are, but don't ever think that because they're old they can't learn ANYTHING you want them to learn! I think that stupid saying causes way too many people to lower their expectations in working with older dogs, and that's a shame!

Secondly, I wanted to just chime in with a Thanks for taking her in, it's good of you!

I've never crated a dog in my life, so I can't help with that one specifically >:)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you cover the crate with a dark cloth- make it like a cave or a den and put a big comfy pillow in there- she will probably like it. Also, she can get away from the little devil :) Don't close her in there at first. Let her go in and out until she sees it as her lair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts