German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are thinking about getting a GSD puppy. If we do, we will buy him/her from a breeder and he/she will be about 12-13 weeks old. We plan to crate the puppy while we are away during the day. The puppy should not have to be in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time...I will come home on lunch break to let him/her out to potty. My husband is home more often than I am during the day, so most of the time he will be able to let the pup out before being in the crate for 4 hours. My question is this: is 4 hours too long to crate a 3 month old puppy?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think it would be fine. I am a stay at home mom, so I was fortunate enough to be here during the potty training phase, but I wouldn't be afraid to leave a pup crated for 4 hours. That's about the maximum I would do at that age, though. And I would expect to come home to accidents. But as fast as they grow, that shouldn't happen for too long after you get him/her.

Just be ready to clean the crate real quick every time you get home for a little while - buy lots of paper towels and Pet Stain/Odor remover...
When you are home, take extra pains to take the pup out very often (I took my dog out like every 1/2 hour for a long time, just in case) and praise the heck out of him when he potties outdoors!!! That way, your pup will learn that even though it may go in it's crate b/c it can't hold it long enough, it's a good thing to do it outside.

Good luck and have fun! Post pics if/when you get a pup!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
We have a six week old pup, just got him on Tuesday...so far he is in the crate about 3 hours between my and my husband's work schedule...I hate doing that to him...but he has not pottied in his crate yet and no accidents in the house.

When he is out, he gets as much exercise as a 6 week old can tolerate...we "play" with a ball or a rope, but he seems to love my toes best

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Don't worry Helly, you can bet at that age your pup does nothing but sleep

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are thinking about getting a pup from a breeder who is expecting a litter in May...which would mean we would get him/her in late July or early August (the breeder has offered to keep the pup a few additional weeks and give it some basic training for us). Sooo...I am hoping to take at least one week off work when we get the pup so that the first week he/she is in our home I will be there all the time to help him/her with the housebreaking routine and crating.

Part of our decision-making is to find out if it would be reasonable for us to leave a 3 month old puppy crated for up to (no more than) 4 hours at a time. So, it sounds like the consensus here is that that would be ok...?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I think so. Kelso was 3 months and being crated for 4 hours or a little less at a time. He did great with potty training..never an accident in the crate and he still loves his crate to this day

·
Registered
714 Posts
Eli was 4 months old when I got him - initially I got up several times during the night to let him out, making it 3 - 4 hours at a time. Eli is now 7 months old (where has the time gone?) and loves his crate. He sleeps in it through the night, and even when I'm home and he has free roam of the house I will often find him in it. Spirit, now 4, goes a step further - if I close her crate she will undo the latches and open the door so she can go in!!!

Joanne, Spirit and Eli

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good plan. He should do well.

You might consider purchasing your crate for the breeder to use while training so that it will already be a familiar place for him when you bring him home in it,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts