German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had to buy a crate for a dog before. My little ones have their own bedroom (totally spoiled) and the older larger breeds my husband and I have fostered for the pound in the past came with a crate to use while they stayed with us... so... I am looking for pros and cons and your opinions on crates.

Plastic?
Wire?
Why?

Also if you don't mind.... what size? Should I start with a large? Will a GSD need a XL? Or should I get a small one and dish out the cash in a few months to upgrade? :confused::confused:

If it helps I won't be putting her in the crate except for "bed time" and it will be by my bed. Thanks for reading :)

-Jess

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Definitely wire. I have an 8 mo. gsd and he uses a 36" for Schutzhund days----way too small any other time, but it fits in the back of my SUV and he can lay down in it comfortably. He has a 42" for bedtime and nap time......his ears stick through when he stands up. I wish I had bought a 48" but he can stretch out and sleep comfortably, just looks pitiful when he stands up and hunkers over. lol Be sure if you get a puppy, to get a crate that has a divider so that you can move the divider as he/she grows and take out eventually. You don't want a puppy to have too much room until it is potty trained. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you; your response helped :)

Do you think that this one would work ok?

Im just cautious in buying anything too big... esp. because I have little inclination of how large she will be... she is currently half the size of all her brothers and sisters. I do suppose that bigger is better in this case though?

Thanks again.

-Jess

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i prefer the plastic because it offers a more den like feeling for my dogs and they dont care for the wire ones too much. However, i also have chewers so we're looking into getting wire all the way around except for my escape artist who we're going to have to get a specialized crate for because unfortunately, she cant be trusted to be loose in the house when we arent home.

·
2,967 Posts
I infinitely prefer to start puppies in plastic.

First it's more den-like, they tend to be quieter in plastic crates and settle more readily.

Second...not that I've had many accidents...but when they do happen plastic keeps the mess in!!! Puppy pee in a wire crate, they step in it, drag their tail through it, then they're happy to see you and the wiggly puppy splatters pee all through the crate and all over whatever is nearby. This is also true for any diarrhea puppy might get. Much messier.

So usually, a plastic crate to start with, and a full size wire crate once their potty training is done.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I started my first GSD puppy in a small plastic crate and moved her up from there to a large plastic. Then once she was done growing I got a wire crate.

Now with my new GSD, I started her off in wire crates. So I have 3 different sizes. LOL Small, medium and then I have her large one she uses now. (Actually have 3 of them so I don't have to move them around). LOL

·
Registered
891 Posts
We don't do plastic here in southern Texas....too hot even in A/C and they can chew out of them. I would think that the one on Amazon would work. You can always cover the metal crate with a crate cover/blanket to create the den feel. And as to the messes, the pan in a metal crate is removable and if you use the divider properly, then you should not have too many messes. And I have 4 metal crates and a cloth one for hotel rooms because it packs well. 1crate in garage;1 crate for each of our 2 dogs in the house and 1crate for Schutzhund days.....and still thinking that we need to upgrade to a 48" for Wolf....never can have too many crates!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have a wire one and bought those roll down bambo blinds, cut them to size and placed on two sides of the cage as one side is the door and the other side is against a wall.

This makes the cage more cave like plus there is a huge added bonus. The dog fur is held in by the blinds. I didn't vacuum in between the cage and the blinds for a few weeks and I was amazed by the quantity of fur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts