German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a crate to start crate training my puppy. I want to know the opinion of the size I need to buy & Where did you all find the cheapest one, I went to petco the other day & It was over $130 for an Extra large one.

She was born on 2/15/2012 & this picture below was taken on 5/29/2012
I honestly don't think she is going to be as big as a full breed German Shepherd due to my vet said she doesn't look full breed.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Do you have an Ocean State Job Lot near you? They have reasonable priced crates. I got a BIG one 42/48 inch? For like 60$. with double doors.

Also check your local craigslist or ebay, always can find stuff there.. I go 'big" but I always end up with big dawgs:)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I got the XL double door crate at Petsmart for 20% off during a sale and because it wasn't in the box and missing the divider I got a extra 15% off. It was a sweet deal

Check out local classifieds or check for sales online for sure

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Price depends on wire gauge too. A dog that's not settled in the crate (thrashing around, biting or chewing on bars) is going to need a sturdy wire gauge or they can pretty easily bend their way out of a cheaper crate. I have 36" and 42" crates and have never paid more than $80 for mine brand new.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think Petsmart doesn't have the best prices. You can look on craigslist for used ones if you don't mind. I tried that route first but couldn't find the kind I wanted so ended up getting it on Amazon with free shipping. I got the Midwest Pro Ultima as that appears to be the one that will hold up a crazy puppy the best and I wanted 3 doors feature. Turns out my puppy isn't crazy in the crate only outside so I could have gone with a cheaper crate.

Amazon sells the cheapest version of Midwest for $88 for the 48". But if you don't think the dog will get that big you can get the next size, which is what I got for my purebred GS. There's a chart on that page if you scroll down that will show you the various types they sell.

Amazon.com: Midwest 1542 iCrate Single-Door Pet Crate 42-By-28-By-30-Inch: Pet Supplies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts