German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any downside to having multiple crates in the house or should it always be one? I have a new puppy. I started working from home. For example. One in my office and one the living room? Right now we have one crate that is in our bedroom. I had a cat cave in my office that the puppy has taken over. She'll outgrow that soon. Then we have another dog bed in the living room that she uses. The cat cave has become her comfortable spot that she runs to when she is scared in another room or just wants to. The living room bed normally is when she seems to get frustrated with me not allowing her to bite at my feet and a pants and will just go lay down in her bed. Happens in my office too. Bedroom stays closed normally right now.

What has happened so far is she has done well in the crate in our room. At night we go to bed, I've set an alarm and then take her out then she goes right back into the crate. Going to bed she may cry depending on where her sleep cycle was. Surprisingly it has been short lived. When she goes back in she has whined initially but that is getting shorter. Additionally I've had to crate her to run an errand which may be one hour or two. She has done well with that. I'm certain she sleeps. She is in a pattern right now of play and sleep on one hour rotations (what I meant by sleep cycle). Morning time is about 5:30 am. Also I know parts of this will start changing quickly as she grows.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
Well, a major downside for me would be having crates all over my house, lol. I just don’t think it’s necessary. If wanted my pup in each room that I’m in, I’d use those opportunities to tether her to me, use a baby gate, or give her a bone or chew to occupy her on one of the beds.... start introducing her to the routine you’ll expect from her when she’s older. I’ve always liked having multiple beds in the house tho!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't see any downside..but if she started to spend most of her time in a particular favorite crate, I'd probably put the others away just for space/decor reasons!

(on multiple dogbeds...My dog likes to lay outside on the deck, and I felt sorry for him lying on the hard wood. Recently I stuck his old dogbed out there. Now with the cooler weather, he has turned himself into a virtual "outside dog" - he can be found there at all hours snoozing comfortably in the 38 degree weather...while his human stays in the 68 degree house...I'm a little sad that he's "moved out" but haven't quite had the heart to take the outdoor bed away again! )

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
..My dog likes to lay outside on the deck, and I felt sorry for him lying on the hard wood. Recently I stuck his old dogbed out there. Now with the cooler weather, he has turned himself into a virtual "outside dog" - he can be found there at all hours snoozing comfortably in the 38 degree weather...while his human stays in the 68 degree house...I'm a little sad that he's "moved out" but haven't quite had the heart to take the outdoor bed away again! )
I would go slow on buying things for the pup. I felt bad for my big-boy laying on the cold bricks outside on our patio. I bought him a good sturdy warmer pillow style dog bed. He never uses it. He prefers laying on the bricks.
With one dog we had a bedroom crate and then I tethered my pup to me or had him on his bed or closed into a small room with me. It was important to keep an eye on him to teach him what not to chew and where not to pee, etc.
I now have 2 dogs and 3 crates. I only use the one in the living room regularly to separate my dogs during meals. The take up a lot of space and aren't exactly pretty. That is the only down side for us.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The only downside I might foresee having multiple crates for one dog is confusion for the dog when you give the crate or kennel command. Is the dog going to know which crate you want it to go into? If you are just looking for cozy places for the pup to rest or settle I would just go with less space intrusive beds and one crate for times actual confinement is needed for longer times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would go slow on buying things for the pup. I felt bad for my big-boy laying on the cold bricks outside on our patio. I bought him a good sturdy warmer pillow style dog bed. He never uses it. He prefers laying on the bricks.
With one dog we had a bedroom crate and then I tethered my pup to me or had him on his bed or closed into a small room with me. It was important to keep an eye on him to teach him what not to chew and where not to pee, etc.
I now have 2 dogs and 3 crates. I only use the one in the living room regularly to separate my dogs during meals. The take up a lot of space and aren't exactly pretty. That is the only down side for us.
Same! I have a bed for my boy and he prefers the hardwood in the house, or he'll just jump up on mine lol @Glenn Batson I guess theres no downside to multiple crates but I agree with the others it seems unnecessary working on your expectation of her and training and making sure shes not bored is really the important thing! Congrats on your puppy!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hello there Glenn and welcome to the forum!

Josie is 13 months old and she's always had 2 crates. One in our bedroom and one in the Arizona room, she has an elevated dog bed in the living room and backyard. I have not seen any downside with our set up. We are training to stay in one place when we need to, so having multiple options where she could 'stay' is good to have (i.e. staying in her crate in the Arizona room when I am having dinner, staying in her crate in the bedroom while I get ready for work, crate doors are open).
I use the 'kennel' command for the crate in the bedroom and the 'zwinger' command for the other crate. When it is breakfast time for her, i tell her 'zwinger' and she goes to the crate. The elevated beds are 'place' for her. I must say sometimes I get confused between the 2 crate commands, so we are both always in training.

Hope this helps and hello to your pupper! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello there Glenn and welcome to the forum!

Josie is 13 months old and she's always had 2 crates. One in our bedroom and one in the Arizona room, she has an elevated dog bed in the living room and backyard. I have not seen any downside with our set up. We are training to stay in one place when we need to, so having multiple options where she could 'stay' is good to have (i.e. staying in her crate in the Arizona room when I am having dinner, staying in her crate in the bedroom while I get ready for work, crate doors are open).
I use the 'kennel' command for the crate in the bedroom and the 'zwinger' command for the other crate. When it is breakfast time for her, i tell her 'zwinger' and she goes to the crate. The elevated beds are 'place' for her. I must say sometimes I get confused between the 2 crate commands, so we are both always in training.

Hope this helps and hello to your pupper! :)
This sounds like a good idea! @Glenn Batson I wouldn't worry about it making life harder just figure out what works best for you and your puppy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We’re a two-crate house as well. One is in our room for our nine-month-old to sleep in and one in our family room that she goes in when we leave. The downstairs one is the only one we call crate and she knows to get in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts