German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, a good friend was t-boned and pushed across four lanes into the guard rails. She, and all 3 of her dogs, were hurt. It was a violent impact that broke the center panel of a WT Metal crate, sending one dog to Cornell and showing how great crash zones in a Subaru work. Another custom made crate is bent badly but it saved the life of the dog that was in it. The car is totaled, the crates are destroyed. The whole scenario is very bad but could have been devastating.

The moral of this story is that all of them are lucky to be alive and the only reason the dogs are is they were all in quality crates. Please, Please, Please....make sure your dogs are crated. Review the quality of your crates and make sure all crates are tied down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been looking to crate my dog while he is in my car. Are there any crates you recommend that are built for cars?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been looking to crate my dog while he is in my car. Are there any crates you recommend that are built for cars?
I like ruffland. Gunner is like the yeti of crates if you ask me. They’re well built, crash tested. But heavy. I’m currently
Waiting in my custom built aluminum to be finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
She should consider herself very lucky. That is one of the least protected crashes you can experience. There is no crumple zone to absorb the impact.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Ruff Tough crates. Variocages are crash tested. You can just search the topic in google and it comes up with several different crates that are the safest. There is a facebook page with crate set ups for all sorts of vehicles.

·
Registered
758 Posts
How could I make a metal crate safer without purchasing a new one?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had heard good things about the Ruffland (Ruff Tuff) except for their doors. That appears to be the weak point in those. I have 1 for Willow for when she rides in the bed of my truck. It won't fit in my car, so yeah, we take our chances I guess. Hoping my next car will be big enough for the crate.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had heard good things about the Ruffland (Ruff Tuff) except for their doors. That appears to be the weak point in those. I have 1 for Willow for when she rides in the bed of my truck. It won't fit in my car, so yeah, we take our chances I guess. Hoping my next car will be big enough for the crate.
Which doors? I have the composite doors but you can get steel.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Which doors? I have the composite doors but you can get steel.
I have the plastic (composite??) doors. The standard ones. I think the issue is the attachment; if you were to be hit with enough force to throw the dog against the door, it likely wouldn't hold and the dog would go flying. Puny metal bars holding it in place...I didn't think a stronger option was available for Ruffland.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the plastic (composite??) doors. The standard ones. I think the issue is the attachment; if you were to be hit with enough force to throw the dog against the door, it likely wouldn't hold and the dog would go flying. Puny metal bars holding it in place...I didn't think a stronger option was available for Ruffland.
I don't feel the bar for the doors is any less, or more, than any other kennel including the vari-kennels I have. You can buy a locking mechanism to go across the door that might stabilize it better. Look at the side latch kits.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
You want to be safer, don't take your dogs in cars at all. Better yet, don't YOU get in cars.:)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a wire crate and It is tied down but I know that the only thing it is going to protect him from is going through through the front into the windshield.

I’m sorry for your friend and her dogs and glad no life was lost. I hope they all recover soon.

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
I have a two door Ruffland (front and back), with the side latch kit on both doors. I've known of people who had the composite door pop off in an accident so I ordered the kits at the same time. Well worth it, IMO.

Reactions: Jax08

·
Registered
558 Posts
Gunner crates are really nice, the only thing I don’t like about it is how heavy it is, but if it saves the dogs it’s worth it. That’s such a scary situation I’m glad it wasn’t fatal.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What size Ruffland do people recommend? Archer is 80lbs, 26” at the withers and is currently in a 42” crate in the car. It seems like the Ruffland kennels are smaller than wire crates, which makes sense. But they’re not too small for bigger dogs?

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What size Ruffland do people recommend? Archer is 80lbs, 26” at the withers and is currently in a 42” crate in the car. It seems like the Ruffland kennels are smaller than wire crates, which makes sense. But they’re not too small for bigger dogs?
I have Seger in an XL (25.5", 78#). He has plenty of room. Faren is 53# and is in a large Varikennel right now because I haven't bought her one yet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have my female about 58-60lbs in an XL and it is way too big for her. She’ll be switched out to a large at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are going to order a Ruff Tough crate, this is a small business, veteran owned, and his customer service is awesome. Pretty sure I saved on shipping costs thru him as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts