German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Puppy (Alvin) is 7.5 weeks old, i have had him two nights. Tonight will be night # 3.

First night: i did not have a crate for him, so i layed out a blanket in my room, and he slept right away for about two hours. he woke us up whinning and crying. took him outside...nothing. repeat every hour untill 2am, he went pee. Continued waking me up roughly every hour.

Night two: since for the moment we are living in a appartment (in the middle of moving into a house) i would like him to go the whole night with out needing to pee. SO i buy a crat (a very large one). idevide it as per advice at the pet store. I put his blanket in there and a toy that he has seemed to enjoy. i put him in it in the afternoon when i got home from work around 3 with the door open, he fell asleep for a nap. so bed time came, after doing his business outside, put him in the crate, closed thedoor, he went to sleep. then two hours later he woke up. then it started. The crying. non stop. took him out several he went once.He cried,and cried all night/morning.

I am exhausted and need some sleep! please help how can i get him to sleep most of night?

Justin

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
He is too young to make it through the night, you have some weeks ahead of you before he can hold it all night. Normally though, you should be fine with letting him out once maybe twice. I've never had a puppy that needed to go out more than once though. All the crying is normal, he is TOO YOUNG, should have really stayed at the breeder's till he was 8 weeks old. :( He is missing his littermates and is not used to the crate. He needs time to get used to all of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
He is a puppy. Puppies cry- just like babies. It will take some time for him to get used to a schedule. Get used to getting up in the middle of the night to let him out. Zoe's schedule was bed at 10pm. I set my alarm for 1am and 4am for potty time. Breakfast at 6:30. Puppies do best on a schedule.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's i have no problem letting him out a couple times a night. just not every hour. - i will set him on a schedule. he criesall night...does not respond to a shh,a finger in the crate...nothing

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just leave a chew toy for him and let him cry it out. It will take him some time, but he will adjust. Good luck :)

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
he criesall night...does not respond to a shh,a finger in the crate...nothing
All that is giving into him, he has you well trained. If he cries he gets a reaction from you, what do you think he is going to keep doing???

Just remove water after 7 or 8pm depending on how late you go to bed. Take him out right before you go to bed. Then set your alarm for 4am or so. IGNORE him the rest of the time. Unless you think he needs to go out twice during the night. Then maybe something like 2pm and 5pm. Something like that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
All that is giving into him, he has you well trained. If he cries he gets a reaction from you, what do you think he is going to keep doing???

Just remove water after 7 or 8pm depending on how late you go to bed. Take him out right before you go to bed. Then set your alarm for 4am or so. IGNORE him the rest of the time. Unless you think he needs to go out twice during the night. Then maybe something like 2pm and 5pm. Something like that.
Exactly, our pup was pretty good about this, and for a few days realized crying got her out to play in the backyard for a minute...once I realized she was conning me, I would let her out at 3 am if she was quiet, otherwise she had to stay in there until she was. Other than that I completely ignored her. The behavior stopped within 4 days.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Puppies are like babies, they cry. Nothing you can do but wait it out. It usually last a few weeks then it stops. With Cedar, we had to get up with her twice a night to let her out to pee. That lasted a week and a half or so, then we went down to once per night. The lasted another week and a half or so and then she finally started sleeping through the night. There was the odd night where she would wake us up because she had to go, but for the most part, she started sleeping through the night 3 weeks after we got her.

Just keep in mind that puppies are like babies, some sleep better than others at night. There's nothing you can do but wait until they outgrow it. It won't last long, although it feels like it at the time.

Enjoy the puppy stage while you can, it doesn't last long.

·
Registered
156 Posts
and remember do not let them out when they cry, you will learn when they really really need to go to the bathroom, and when they are trying to get your attention

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our pup is now 13 weeks, what has worked for us is no food or water after 7pm (I go to bed at 11:30, take her out before I go up)...the first 3 weeks (we got her at 8.5), she slept in bed with me-yes on my bed...she would make it until 4-5 am every night. Once she got used to the crate-which is downstairs, we've started putting her in it at night now and she is great until 6-7 am...it just takes time, but if you put her in bed with you she feels your body heat and the blankets keep her snuggled (like being with her lttermates) and she won't whine at all:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, what worked was,

I took an old alarm clock, filled up a waterbottle with hot water, wrapped it all in a towel, put a old shirt underneath.

He slept all night, not a single sound.

i still get him out of bed at 2:30 am, i guess i will gradually increase the time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts