German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the videos and read the suggestions about crate training. I am trying to make the crate a positive place for my 9 week old. Thankfully she does go in at night and sleep without fussing (unless she needs a night time potty run). But she has NO interest in it during the day. I have always fed my dogs in their crate which I am doing with the puppy too. I am retired so I am home but there are times I need her to use the crate. Mainly in the morning when I have to take my 3 1/2 yr old boy out for his walk. I have to put her in the crate at that time. I put her food there and a frozen treat. She is fine until she is done and then starts screaming. (I know because I have a camera I watch her with). Today she didn't even bother with her frozen treat before she started crying. I really don't have a choice but to put her in there. I just worry that I am making the crate a negative place.
Also, she has a spot in my kitchen that she likes to sleep. I don't mind her sleeping there but not sure if I should let her. Should I be putting her in the crate? She never has willingly gone into it other than for food.
My previous girl loved her crate. Really no training involved. She just liked it. My older boy was never a fan but learned to accept it. I was hoping this little girl would make it her cozy place.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe puppies screaming their head off due to being in the crate is normal. They eventually will lay down and rest. I think dogs differ on how much they will enjoy the crate. My girl loves to lay in her crate at night or during the day randomly. My boy on the other hand hates it the majority of the time and only goes in when he is required to. They were both raised the same so I think it just varies between dogs and if you need to use it they'll just have to accept it. You already mentioned some good practices for making them comfortable in the crate and I personally don't see any issue here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had a similar issue with one of our shepherds. One loved the crate, the other acted like it was the worst place on earth. We just kept the training up, and eventually she got used to it. Flash to three years later and she loves it so much it's hard to get her to come out of it. Haha. In our experience I'd say just stick to it, and they will eventually get settled in.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the little stinker just went in the crate on her own and is sleeping. After watching a video that was on another thread, I decided to try random treats in the crate throughout the day. Every time she went in, treats rained from heaven. lol. I guess I will keep it up and hope she eventually decides she loves it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good idea to use treats. When my guy was small, I taught him the command crate" by first tossing treats into the crate, then saying the command as he entered the crate. Slowly moving to requiring him to be all the way in the crate to receive the reward. He had it down after the first week. I did it several times per day including every meal.

I think if you are very consistent with using the crate, eventually it becomes a happy safe place. Some just take a little longer than others.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
As with everything else the more of a thing you make it the bigger it gets. It's just business. Some dogs never like their crates but will deal with it, others love them. Unless you hit the type that are harming themselves, just put them in and walk away.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really need my now almost 12 week old to get used to the crate during the day! Night time is not a problem (thank goodness). I do need to go out sometimes or even just do some housework, and I need to have a safe place for Lucy. She will go in during the day and eat. She is not afraid of the crate. But once she is done eating she screams. And claws at the bars. I am going to lose my mind!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Require her to be quiet and calm before you let her out, no matter how long that takes. you will just have to wait her out. Then over time and repetitions, the duration of her tantrum will reduce. Ultimately to where she just stays calm after dinner. Then slowly increase the time in the crate after dinner. It will be frustrating at first, but stay calm and ignore her outburst.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lex would throw a tantrum for about a month every night.. half an hour or so. But we used to have a B&G Macaw, so her winning in comparison was nothing. She would get some treats every time before going inside her crate and then she stopped crying, she would go inside, enjoying her snack and was sleeping through the night without a peep!
She is now reliable enough to stay in a family room without being crated.
She is weird in a good way. When I am leaving she blocks the door leaning against it and stays this way till I am back during the day.. no barking, no scratching. No destroying things!
My last Great Dane loved her crate. You ask her if she wants a bone and she would automatically go to her crate.. didn’t have lock her there. Lived for 11+ years.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Same here. My first GSD was fine with the crate. Then one random day (when he was around 2), he decided he didn't want to be in it anymore and threw a huge "fit" biting the wires, rattling the cage. Sounded like an earthquake. The next day he did the same thing and I decided at that point to let him out. From then on, we took the crate apart and put it in storage and he was great since. Once, I even left a chicken on the counter top and came home to find it still there. My current GSD is a different story. I can't leave him out when I leave the house or he'll destroy things or eat random things that get us to the emergency room (happened 3 times already). But the good thing is he loves his crate. He goes in there on his own to take naps, to get away from the noise, etc. He loves it so much that I decided to blow some money and get an Impact Dog Crate for him. He loves it even more, if that's even possible.

Some of the "tricks" that I used to get him to like his crate more....1) The original crate was a large 48" wire crate big enough for me to crawl inside. I'd close the door and he'd go nuts trying to get in. When I opened the door, he'd run in, and we had a "party" (treats, excitement, etc.). Then I'd come out and he'd stay in on his own. 2) We used to play "tag" and run around the crate and sometimes in the middle or running from him I'd throw some treats in there...and he'd take a break from chasing me to get the treats. 3) Usually, when I needed a break and a nap, he did too. So in the crate he went. He was too tired to complain. 4) I'd hide treats or his favorite toys in the crate and tell him to go "find it." 5) when he was really small, when I needed a bathroom break, or getting the mail, or vacuuming the family room, or something where I couldn't keep an eye on him, I'd put him in the crate, even if it was for 1 minute. Then when I was back, i'd let him back out. Quick, short periods in the crate helped him realize that he would always be let out. 6) Every time he goes in there, I'd throw a couple treats in with him. Even now, sometimes when he goes in on his own I'd throw some unexpected treats. 7) If you used a wire crate, maybe put a blanket on top, so he has a little "privacy." If he can't see what you're doing, there's a good chance he will be more "relaxed."

These are some of the things I did to get him used to the crate. I don't know if they'll work with your dog. But they worked for mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts