German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be bringing my GSD puppy home in 2 weeks and will have a crate for her. How did you get your dog to like/preferrably love their crate? My boyfriend and I want her to get used to her crate before confining her to it all night long and help her build a healthy, positive "relationship" with her crate especially because we work. Any advice/tips are appreciated! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will be bringing my GSD puppy home in 2 weeks and will have a crate for her. How did you get your dog to like/preferrably love their crate? My boyfriend and I want her to get used to her crate before confining her to it all night long and help her build a healthy, positive "relationship" with her crate especially because we work. Any advice/tips are appreciated! :)
How old is she? That will make a difference.

But generally, get her trained to go in with a command, I just use "kennel," and coax them in there with a treat. You can toss it in as you say the command, then praise them when they come back out to you.

Then use the command to get them to go in on their own, then award a treat. Once they're comfortable going in and out, start leaving her in there for short periods of time while you're home. Have some toys or bones in there for her to chew on. Overall you don't want it to feel like abandonment, but instead like her own little safe place.

My pup hated it at first. But we started crating him so early he doesn't even remember it, he just knows it as "his" place. He goes in there on his own sometimes, maybe just for some alone time, will drag a new bone in there to chew on privately...lol.

Basically just use it A LOT while she's young. Depending on age she'll need frequent potty breaks, but you really do need to commit to using the crate for hours at a time so that it isn't a shock one day when you leave for work. She needs to know that you're always going to come back, so short little spurts at first will get her accustomed to this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Everything everyone says here about crate training is bang on. Lie down with her in front of it....play with her near it,toss stuff into it and put her in there to sleep while you lie down near it ( do it in front of the TV so u can watch telly!! ) and feed her in it. Don't shut the door for the first few days and then when you start just do it really briefly like it is part of the game. I had never crated before and karma took to the crate like a duck to water. You can see there that I started with an open sided box and then bought a plastic crate. I have since sold the crate because karma outgrew it and now sleeps wherever she wants outside (we live in a tropical climate ) BUT she "kennels up" at warp speed on command ( into her mesh outdoor kennel ) and if needs be will stay there for hours without a sound. They really do love a crate and it is one of the best new doggy training things I picked up .....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will be 9 1/2 weeks and thanks for the advice! It is sort of what I thought I should do but reassurance never hurts! And those pictures are hilarious Kidkhmer :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
we have a 8 1/2 month old GSD male and a 1.5 year old soft coat wheaten terrier female. when I give the KENNEL command they both run to their crates and wait for a treat. Usually they get one. It was not always so easy. She was easy to train. Brutus, the GSD, was another story. The first time we put him in his kennel and left to go out to eat he busted out. I opened the door and he happily greeted me at the door :eek::eek:!!

this is what our dog trainer recommended and worked for us. We would put him in the crate periodically throughout the day. 5-30 minutes at a time. if he started to whine he would either be ignored or corrected. If that didn't calm him a spray bottle was used. In his short life he has gotten squirted like 5 times. If he was calm he was praised and given a treat. We now have a calm and happy crated dog.

make sure you have chew toys for your new pup. Brutus is chewing on his Nylabone (sp?) right now. it is still his favorite. I also give him a Kong with a hidden treat in it. That keeps him busy for awhile. GSD are awesome dogs!! Be consistent in your expectations. if he/she is not allowed on furniture then that means you both should not allow it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts