German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am *trying* to get Ellie crate trained so that she will hang out in there and be fine when I leave for a few hours at a time. The crate is in our bedroom and she will sleep in there with the door latched closed all night long until I let her out in the morning. But if she knows I'm gone, then she will freak out.

Yesterday morning, I didn't let her out in the morning, but rather left her there while I went to the gym for 30 min, came back and a suitcase i had next to the crate was knocked over, and the blanket that is draped over it was pulled halfway through one of the holes! :crazy:

Any suggestions on how to get her used to being okay in there while she's home alone?

(She is fine being home alone, but she gets up on the bed which I do not want)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Tough love would be my only answer. That's what I would do anyway. She can fuss all she wants but after awhile she will realize nothing comes of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Feed her in the crate.

Never be excited when she comes out of the crate. Open the door mater of factly, walk her to the door, let her relieve herself and then get excited.

Learn crate games (youtube it).

This is exactly what I am doing with my 7 1/2 week old. She hated it the first couple of nights but now she doing great in it. I feed her in it and she gets really excited and goes in the crate and eats. Then when I get off of work I go to the crate and she isnt overly excited when coming out and the first thing she does is go outside and relieve herself and then goes into play mode.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips, I will look into crate games. Ellie is fine being in there when there are people home, but it's knowing that we left that gets her all worked up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts