German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosko is 14 months old. He has never been crate trained. Athena is 12 weeks old and she will go into her small crate and lay on her own and she will go in the crate when we leave her home for a couple hours.I purchased 2 48Lx30Wx32H pet supplies plus crates I want to crate train both of them my questions are. do I put them in the same room? can the crates be a couple feet apart? I have the basics of crate training from reading other posts but any tips or advice especially with a 1 yr old dog would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh. should I keep them out of each others crate. Kind of their personal space only type thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
Crates can become tables with a piece of plywood on top and a nice fabric.I'm betting Rosko will train fairly quickly if you leave the door open at first so he can go in and out to retrieve toys or treats.Practice his stay or place in the crate,feed him in there,whatever you can come up with to make it positive.My dogs have never been possessive of their crates.Any crate is a good crate to them.Others have had a different experience I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Crates can become tables with a piece of plywood on top and a nice fabric.I'm betting Rosko will train fairly quickly if you leave the door open at first so he can go in and out to retrieve toys or treats.Practice his stay or place in the crate,feed him in there,whatever you can come up with to make it positive.My dogs have never been possessive of their crates.Any crate is a good crate to them.Others have had a different experience I'm sure.
Yup - my nightstand in my bedroom is my dog's crate with a painted piece of wood on top, with my lamp and c-pap machine! :)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rosko is doing better than I thought he would already. I gave him a bully stick to enjoy in there a while ago. He'll already go inside and lay down with door open. Or maybe he was just hoping for another bully stick.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts